Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

beginner setup questions

im a newbie and have been researching saltwater aquariums for awhile now... and am planing on buying my set up this week...i plan on going with a fish only with live rock set up....im gonna start with a 29 gallon tank.... i was wondering how much live rock that is recommended....i know most say 1-2lbs for every gal but i was wondering if i could us alil less so i would have more room in my tank but want enough for my fish to hide in....also i was wanted to ask about how long it would take for me to cycle my tank with the rock and sand in it....i know im gonna need a light and was thinking about using a penguin biowheel to filter....is ther any other equipment u recommend me buying...and how big of a heater should i get for this tank... i want to get started on my cycleing sooon so any advice is great....(im completely new)

Old 06-16-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

any advice would be great plz

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want to use LR as your primary bio filter you should have at least 1lb per gallon. You will not need the biowheel as it will become a nitrate factory later on. I have a 46g and I went with 1lb per gallon of Fiji rock as it supposed to be more porous than Keys Rock (some folks may disagree). If you go with a fine sugar-sized argonite sand that will also become your filter so you should be able to get by with less rock if you keep a lite bio load. Definitely get yourself a good skimmer. I use a CPR Bakpak and it pulls gunk daily. You will also need good water circulation so go with 2 Maxijet 600 ph's and a 100w submersible heater. I cycled my rock in 3 weeks. HTH
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want to use LR as your primary bio filter you should have at least 1lb per gallon. You will not need the biowheel as it will become a nitrate factory later on. I have a 46g and I went with 1lb per gallon of Fiji rock as it supposed to be more porous than Keys Rock (some folks may disagree). If you go with a fine sugar-sized argonite sand that will also become your filter so you should be able to get by with less rock if you keep a lite bio load. Definitely get yourself a good skimmer. I use a CPR Bakpak and it pulls gunk daily. You will also need good water circulation so go with 2 Maxijet 600 ph's and a 100w submersible heater. I cycled my rock in 3 weeks. HTH
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

how do u point your power heads? toward the middle? away from eachother? thanks alot for the advice...that really helps...im goin to get my setup this weekend.....also..i can just put everything in my tank and cycle it all at once right?(sand, rock with equipment running) also will i need to do any water changes during cycling?

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
Old 06-17-2004, 03:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It depends on what you have in your tank. If your LR is just corraline covered rock, then water changes won't really be required. But if you have lots of things living in/on your rock that you don't want to die, changing would be a good idea. And yes, you can get all your equipment installed and running before you start your cycle. You want your powerheads arranged so there are very few or no "dead spots" in your water, lots of circulation everywhere.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

put the ph in the corners and try to cross the streams for a turbulent flow. and point them slightly up to ripple the water, Helps with O2 exchange.
Water changes durring a cycle and prolong the cycle time. BUT if your lr comes with a lot of hitchikers, it is well worth it. I would also leave the bio wheel in until the cycle is complete, then remove it.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

so a skimmer is necessary?

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
Old 06-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

also if u buy some cured live rock and some uncured will this speed my cycling process?

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
Old 06-18-2004, 12:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It might cycle faster but the rock still needs to cure. I would not rush the process. I have my ph's in the upper left and right corners pointing toward the middle. You want good circulation throughout the tank.

Tags
beginner, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com