beginner sw build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

browns9174

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I don't know much about sw tanks but I want to learn. I got said n live rock coming in a cpl days n I Just wanna know if I need some sort of base rock to put in first before the lv? If so do I need a special kind? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think base rock can be added at anytime. Base takes a few months to become live after seeded with live rock. I hear you want a total of 1 to 1.5 times the water volume in pounds of rock. E.g. 30 gallon tank should have 30-45 pounds of rock.

I have about 15 lbs of live and 50 lbs of base in my 55 gallon. I ordered my base rock from reefrocks, but there are many places that sell it.

Also there are a couple of options on base rock. Natural stuff that used to be live and man made "eco friendly". Just rinse it before putting it in your tank. Mine had tons of dust on it.

Thanks. I got a friend who is giving me some base rock so as far as that goes I'm in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom