Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Beginner Tank

I just upgraded my FW tank to a 90 gal from a 10 gal, i've got a Red Ear Slider in it actually and now I've got this 10 gal sitting in front of me.. its so empty... I've been reading these forums for a while now and I've noticed that a 10 gallon setup is not the best for a newbie.

This didn't curb my urge to setup a saltwater tank at all. I was wondering what people recommend for the size of a beginner tank.

I'm not looking to setup a reef, just a FOWLR. I've noticed a few 20 - 30 gallon tanks in the classifieds near me and I was thinking about picking one of those up.

As I understand all the live rock/sand handles the biological filtration of the system and the water needs to be agitated with a powerhead. In a smaller setup can a HOB filter be used to agitate the water as well as provide some mechanical filtration?

I'd be looking at about 1 lb of LR per gallon of water correct? I can see that getting pretty expensive. Can base rock ( I'm assuming base rock is somewhat cheaper) be used with live rock to colonize the base rock with organisms, how long does this take? is there any sort of ratio that works best?

Gorwooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
IMO I always suggest a 55 as a good starting point even though I know others have smaller. You know you`ll want to go Large later on so go with the 55 which will give you time to grow.
Yesw on the live rock you can go with a cheap base rock at the bottom and the live rock that you put on top will seed the base rock. I`ve always heard 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon. for good filtration.
As well about the HOB some people use a sump behind the stand which I believe does a better job. o many question, so little time. Have a good day
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

beginner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com