Beginner tank clownfish and anemonee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothingbutfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on starting a saltwater tank with only clownfish and anemones, Iv done some research on different anemones and different clownfish and I was wondering what's the best anemone for an Ocellaris Clownfish?

Will this be your first saltwater tank? My advise is to wait before you go adding anemones. They require pristine, stable water conditions and should not go into newly cycled tanks. As you will have learned in your research different species of clown will host different types of nems. Not all nems can be kept together (they can be aggressive) and unless your tank is 150g + you can only keep one pair of clowns. My percs host a BTA but if your clowns are tank bred odds are they may never host a nem. Plenty of research and patience is the key when starting out (and a fair bit o cash!)

Yes it will be my first one and I know that you have take your time introducing new fish to tanks so I wouldn't be putting an anemone in until I know the water is safe and I was thinking about tank bred clownfish cuz they are a little more hardy but this won't be happening any time soon I want to get as much info as I can to prepare myself so if you have any more suggestions I would like to hear them

Cool, by waiting on a nem I meant waiting until your tank is established, mature. Some people say 8months to a year. Not sure about tank bred being hardier but they will less likely host your nems. Your LFS will be able to tell you if your clowns are wild caught or tank bred.

My tanks not going to be super huge just a 20 gallon do you recommend a protein skimmer?

Just a bit of advice ; do your homework before hand!!
I have learned so much here in what would be involved in adding an anenomie and have had a lot of help from many here to help steer me in the right direction.
I am by far not an expert and don't want to tell you yes or no , that final decision is going to have to be yours.
Others here might be able to help you more than I can ; all I will reccomend to you is reasearch it well before you make any decisions.

I have been doing a lot of research and going to aquarium stores and asking them some questions but they don't always help.

Clowns are some of the hardiest fish you can buy. Going the patient route you can add the clowns after the tank is cycled. Then after several months add an anemone. Since the clowns will be established and a med to large size for an Osc clown maxes out at 3.5in you should get an anemone large enough to accommodate both clowns.

Clowns can get aggressive and unintentionally hurt an anemone. That's why a larger one around 5in would be a safe way to go.

Get a pair of clowns. FYI if they are breeding they will take over the tank so only two clowns. You can get more than one anemone when your tank is ready

I got my pair together in same tank try to get one bigger then the other. pairing will be quicker

Back
Top Bottom