Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to agallegos
thanks for those links. so i guess that powerhead is for the ugf. sorry for the really newb questions but how can i get water from the sump to the display tank? i use #6, but how do i connect the tubes? thanks very much for all your guys' help

Old 08-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

alright ive got some news. unfortunately the powerheads and the other pump looking thing dont have things to latch on to the tank and #6 has a thing that you turn on it, but its really stuck and i may need a new one.

1. where and how much will a decent pump cost (one to move water from the sump to the tank)

2. where and how much will decent powerheads cost?

thanks again everyone.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some of the parts may be available so that you can hang the power head off the tank rim with a clamp or on the glass with a suction cup.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...1971;subcats=1

There are parts for several different brands of powerheads.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hey nevermind, theyre not broken (yay). and i also figured out how the pump moves the water to the tank. its a lot easier than i thought, so thats good. all i need now is some tubing that i can just go pick up at lowes or home depot. i do have a few more questions though.

1. when cleaning all the things inside of the trickle filter thing, what should i use? should i use water or should i mix some bleach in with it?

2. i can put the heater in the sump, right?

3. theres some flat rocks use for the walls (stacking rocks) at lowes and home depot. would they be a good idea for forming hiding places and stuff inside the tank? what should i use to clean that?

4. where do you guys get all your large rocks. they look really cool and give it a very tropical look. if anyone could point me where to get one or even a fake one (which would be even better), id really appreciate it.

hey thanks for that link

edit: sorry for the double post. where can i delete one of them?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hey nevermind, theyre not broken (yay). and i also figured out how the pump moves the water to the tank. its a lot easier than i thought, so thats good. all i need now is some tubing that i can just go pick up at lowes or home depot. i do have a few more questions though.

1. when cleaning all the things inside of the trickle filter thing, what should i use? should i use water or should i mix some bleach in with it?

2. i can put the heater in the sump, right?

3. theres some flat rocks use for the walls (stacking rocks) at lowes and home depot. would they be a good idea for forming hiding places and stuff inside the tank? what should i use to clean that?

4. where do you guys get all your large rocks. they look really cool and give it a very tropical look. if anyone could point me where to get one or even a fake one (which would be even better), id really appreciate it.

hey thanks for that link
Old 08-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

1 -- You can use water or water with a little bit of bleach. Just make sure that you rinse it out really well before using it in the tank. If you smell any bleach at all, then it still needs to be rinsed. If there's hard water deposits, you can use vinegar and elbow grease to get rid of them.

2 -- I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. I say this having never used a sump like that. Is there a place for the cord to stick out? If the sump is acrylic you probably want to make sure the heater doesn't touch the sides. While it shouldn't melt anything, why take the chance? Incidetially, most people here recommend using 2 heaters, one set slightly below the temp of the first. That way, if one fails, the other takes up the slack.

3 -- I wouldn't. If you really like them, then you probably need to set one in a bucket of salt water, leave it in there for several weeks, and constantly test for anything and everything that can be tested. Seems like a lot of work to me.

4 -- The rocks you see in everyone else's tanks are the live rocks (well, base rocks + live rocks in some cases). Lots of places sell LR, including your LFS, liverocks.com, the list goes on and on.

LR is expensive, but by all accounts worth it. Like live sand, LR is just rocks with critters, coraline algae, and bacteria. Lots of people buy the less expensive base rock and seed it with a few quality pieces of LR. The base rock eventually becomes live. You need approximately 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon of tank. More porous is better, since it has more surface area, which means more bacteria. Or, you can choose based on the amount and color of coraline algae, hitchhikers attached, etc. LR is as varied as the life you find around it.

You can also make your own base rock. Check out the DIY sections at www.garf.org.

Joleen

Tags
beginner, pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com