Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #1

beginner wondering about 10 gal. PLEASE help!

I wrote on the general discussion part not even thinking to write here! So I will!

I want to get a 10 gal. tank with a saltwater fish in it. Can you tell me the lighting/filter and such along with what fish will go in a 10 gal. saltwater?

Also I have a 29 gal. which will have freshwater fish in it.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
Quote:
Also I have a 29 gal. which will have freshwater fish in it
In my opinion i would use the 29gal for the SW and the 10 for the FW.
I think it would work out better that way for your first tank. Actually a 55gal would be best for a beginner but thats just my opinion.
Quote:
Can you tell me the lighting/filter and such along with what fish will go in a 10 gal
As for lighting it depends on what you want to keep. FOWLR or corals and anemones. For FOWLR most can be lighted by PC lighting. IF you want Corals and Anemones they also can be kept under that lighting however MH in my opinion is always a better way to go.

For filtration u will have to use LR and protien skimmer at the very least. I would also suggest getting a HOB filter or canister filter to help also.

HTH

Old 02-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with joester,

Just to give you info incase you may not be aware, 10G is do-able but will be somewhat more challenging than a larger size tank because of fluctuations in regards to water perameters. The larger volume of water will be more forgiving to fluctuations in pH, salinity/SG, temp etc... If you are just planning on putting a fish or 2 in there, the fish don't care about light therefore you can go with any ol' flourescent lighting that seems to do the job of giving you the light you need to view. If you want LR and some invertebrate life, you'll need to upgrade your lighting to something like a coralife power compact strip. a canister filter or a small protein skimmer would be needed too.

Maybe something like this for a skimmer:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=ps-c3000

Ryan
Old 02-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yup. Bigger is better. More forgiving and wider selection of fish you can stock.

In a 10? I don't know maybe a clown fish...

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com