Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2003, 11:45 PM   #1
ManderRN1

Beginning Setup... Few ?'s

I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite some time, and have decided to venture into saltwater. I have a new 30 gallon tank, empty, that I will be outfitting to house saltwater fish, live rock, and some inverts. I have a few questions before I proceed...

-Is a substrate like Black Moon Sand OK for burrowing fish like blennies or jawfish? I wanted to go with a black substrate mostly for it's appearance. I've been told by some that it's OK, and by others that these fish cannot live in fine sand- that they must have coarse sand to burrow into. Is Black moon sand too fine for them?

-I will be starting with fish, LR, cleaner shrimp, snails, and scarlet reef hermits, but would eventually like to add some inverts like an anemone, feather dusters, sea star, or possibly a nudibranch or electric flame scallop. The hood that came with my aquarium houses 1 fluorescent bulb. Would a ZooMed Reef Sun fluorescent bulb provide sufficient lighting for these inverts? I'd REALLY like to avoid having to buy a whole new lighting setup to add additional bulbs.

-I have heard conflicting things about electric flame scallops and nudibranch as far as difficutly in raising them. Some say they are near impossible to raise and should be avoided, others say they are not too bad- any comments?

-Last Question: I plan on getting a pair of Ocellaris clownfish- any suggestions on what anemones they will go to that are smaller (will fit OK in my 30 gal.), attractive, easier to care for, and are relatively inexpensive? I really wanted a blue carpet anemone- I think they're beautiful- but can't afford to pay $200 for one!

Any info. that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Wow i cant belive this got missed for 3 days.

Sorry

Quote:
-Is a substrate like Black Moon Sand OK for burrowing fish like blennies or jawfish? I wanted to go with a black substrate mostly for it's appearance. I've been told by some that it's OK, and by others that these fish cannot live in fine sand- that they must have coarse sand to burrow into. Is Black moon sand too fine for them?
I would say yes its fine assuming the sand grain size is simular in shape and size to other argonite based sand products. I think hara and another member has tanks with this black sand.

Quote:
-I will be starting with fish, LR, cleaner shrimp, snails, and scarlet reef hermits, but would eventually like to add some inverts like an anemone, feather dusters, sea star, or possibly a nudibranch or electric flame scallop. The hood that came with my aquarium houses 1 fluorescent bulb. Would a ZooMed Reef Sun fluorescent bulb provide sufficient lighting for these inverts? I'd REALLY like to avoid having to buy a whole new lighting setup to add additional bulbs.
Take the anenome out of the picture and you could do this setup with what you have now as far as lighting. A cheap upgrade might be to go with a double florecent fixture. Other inverts like corals and most definatlyi anenomes will need much higher output light than a standard florecent bulb can produce.

Quote:
-I have heard conflicting things about electric flame scallops and nudibranch as far as difficutly in raising them. Some say they are near impossible to raise and should be avoided, others say they are not too bad- any comments?
About the only thing I have heard on the nudi and it being difficult is that many times they are very specialized feeders. When/If the food source they are most acustom to is removed from teh system they can starve.

Quote:
-Last Question: I plan on getting a pair of Ocellaris clownfish- any suggestions on what anemones they will go to that are smaller (will fit OK in my 30 gal.), attractive, easier to care for, and are relatively inexpensive? I really wanted a blue carpet anemone- I think they're beautiful- but can't afford to pay $200 for one!
Per my suggestion above about the lighting I would say going anenome free is your best bet. Clowns dont need anenomes to live in an aquarium and can live long lives without their symbolic host that they use in the wild for protection.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com