Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spotted a RTBA on a local reef forum this morning. I have been reading on and off about them for months along with other stock on my wish list. While my tank has only been online for about 2 months, the LR was 6 years old. I was just wondering if it would be premature to get one of these for the clowns. If not, do I need to be dosing yet (Cal etc)? I understand their diet needs and I'm hoping my PC lighting is decent enough for them. The prior tank owner had corals with these lights. Temp, PH, salinity etc are all right for it.

I didn't catch it, what kinda wattage do you have over the tank? Honestly if it's PC lighting it's going to be pretty tought to keep a RBTA happy. you'd be better off with MH or LED if you want a nem. T5 COULD work but you'd need some serious wattage. PC lights are known to have lower PAR/watt than the T5, MH, & LEDs so take that into consideration.

I really don't know much about the lighting at all. I know I have 2 blue and 2 white. The moonlight LEDs are destroyed from salt splashes from a bubble wand of all things :nono: These will eventually get switched out. I just wasn't sure if it was something I could jump on because it was a great deal due to a move. Would it survive and be happy for 6months with the current lighting you know... or would it just crumble away and die?

mrbee2828 said:
I really don't know much about the lighting at all. I know I have 2 blue and 2 white. The moonlight LEDs are destroyed from salt splashes from a bubble wand of all things :nono: These will eventually get switched out. I just wasn't sure if it was something I could jump on because it was a great deal due to a move. Would it survive and be happy for 6months with the current lighting you know... or would it just crumble away and die?

I'd get a 6 bulb t5 fixture first. I mean it's only going to cost you $150-200

with tax season around the corner i've reserved my refund check all for lighting & just going all out so I wont have to replace for years(unless i upgrade tank size)

That would be rad but ours is going right to the credit card to pay off the majority of what we bought for our bathroom remodel last summer. Hopefully some freelance will pop up sometime and let me upgrade... and that something pops up on CL :)

Another thing to consider is That while your rock is years old your tank is still new. You mentioned having to wait to get lights that would be a good time for your system to "age". Basically maturing a tank is ,from what I have read, is letting your system find its point of being stable. No ph swings and letting it go through all the algae stages that accompany new set ups. I don't know if that makes much sense or not. I have a green bta under 4 t5 ho lights but my tank is only 16 inches deep. Aside from that little nugget I've got nothing else to add about lighting.

Thanks, the BTA may have already been sold anyway so it may be a moo point. Honestly I hope it did because I'm really not trying to jump the gun on anything and that might be a step to fast :D

Thanks, the BTA may have already been sold anyway so it may be a moo point. Honestly I hope it did because I'm really not trying to jump the gun on anything and that might be a step to fast :D

agreed stick to your original plan of no tough corals until this thing establishes. Try some zoas or frogspawn/hammer/torch. they're pretty easy and clowns will host anything(if thats what the push for the nem was really for :))

My tank was set up a month ago and my zoas and mushrooms are doing great since I got them a week ago m

Ok, I ripped open the lights because I have no idea what the guy gave me and have some more info. They are not power compacts, I don't know what I was thinking typing PC above. They are compact florescent (CF). I have 2 65w Odyssea actinic bulbs and 2 65w Odyssea 12000k daylight bulbs.

So how does that change things for my lighting vs corals and anemone's? Again, the moonlights are dead. I looked everything up because I saw a 4 bulb 48" T5 fixture for sale on the local forum.

Skimmer seems to be doing it's thing huh?

sump-024.jpg

sump-024.jpg

mrbee2828 said:
Ok, I ripped open the lights because I have no idea what the guy gave me and have some more info. They are not power compacts, I don't know what I was thinking typing PC above. They are compact florescent (CF). I have 2 65w Odyssea actinic bulbs and 2 65w Odyssea 12000k daylight bulbs.

So how does that change things for my lighting vs corals and anemone's? Again, the moonlights are dead. I looked everything up because I saw a 4 bulb 48" T5 fixture for sale on the local forum.

I think you'll be fine and can grow LPS and softies. For an anemone, clams, and SPS I'd get or add another 4 bulb t5 from aquatraders

This thing is running on a miracle and some duct tape literally. The adjustment knob has two settings at this point.. rain forest or desert :) I'm just happy I got it working, but it's good to know that this is "wet" and what I'll want with my future skimmer.

Cool . Did you give it the smell test? If it's awful it's working lol. I almost lost my lunch last time I emptied mine.

Heading up to Animal Jungle tonight for wet wednesday. I might get another crab or some little things for the fuge. I actually remembered I had a TON of shells from our Nags Head vacation in a bag that have been laying around for about 2 years and dumped them in the fuge over the course of the day. It'll work until I get some more LR for it. I'm holding off on the goby for awhile... need the copepods to breed (hopefully) and I need to make a mesh top. Any stock suggests for something fun in the tank? I saw a TOTM on reef central that had some dwarf angels in it and tons of coral... I didn't know some types you could get by with.

Back
Top Bottom