Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So this evening I spotted a brand new 4 bulb T5 fixture with moonlights and hinged legs for $110. It has 4 new Sea World bulbs. 2 54w 12,000k whites and 2 actinic bulbs. I offered $90 and we settled on $100. So I guess I'm only paying off 1/2 the skimmer when the cc bill comes now hahaa. I had to jump on it though.

The tank looks way better. I hope the newer bulbs are a better spectrum than the God knows how old PC bulbs I had, possibly helping with any algae problems. I'll shoot some pictures with the Nikon tomorrow. The iPhone pictures are terrible.

NOW CAN I GET SOME CORAL?!?!?! LOL The local reef club meets Saturday and there is a frag swap going on among other things including a frag tank raffle.

I'M GOING TO GET THIS THING STARTED!!!

$100 - T5 lighting with moonlights
-----------------
$1447 total to date

at every reef club meeting all newbies win the raffle or at least the majority of it so +1 to yiou going to get coral there this weekend

I'm not sure I'm following you :) Replace the PC lights? I took that whole ficture off and replaced it with the new T5 one. So I have 4 T5 bulbs. Are you just saying add another 2 bulbs fixture to try some SPS later on? I'm not planning on trying SPS right now. I've got too much to learn :)

mrbee2828 said:
I'm not sure I'm following you :) Replace the PC lights? I took that whole ficture off and replaced it with the new T5 one. So I have 4 T5 bulbs. Are you just saying add another 2 bulbs fixture to try some SPS later on? I'm not planning on trying SPS right now. I've got too much to learn :)

Oh ok., I thought you were using both at the same time . Yeah I was saying add another 2 bulb for SPS but you can always add one later.

Here is an updated picture of the tank with the new lights. It seems real blue to me but I'm not sure if that's good or bad. The other lights were really white and I know they were old. As you can see I still have a red algae issue but with the new lights on and new skimmer coming today I'm hoping I can knock it out soon.

So we have a reef club / frag swap going on tomorrow. I'm buying a large BTA from one of the members and I'm hoping to pick up some frags to get started. I'm considering redoing the rock on the right of the tank and creating an island for it. There are people that say it works for isolation but the truth sounds more like it's going to do whatever it needs to in order to get the right light and flow and they are all different animals.

Thoughts on the island as far as looks though?

tank-009.jpg

tank-009.jpg

I like the way it looks now, but, I just changed mine to put all the rock on one side and leave open space for corals that sit on the sand. All a matter of taste!

Oh I was just thinking... I've got to do something about that powerhead don't I?? That BTA is going to possibly crawl in there isn't it?

yes it could.. it's not likely it'll go over there, but if you don't have enough flow on your rocks it'll try to get right on the PH which could be disasterous. I'd try to keep the PH out of reach of the nems tentacles too, if it rests right there under that PH the tentacles could get sucked up..

edit: If you've got enough flow I'd put the island on the right hand side & just blast the PH at it.

I'm probably going to move this to the side to go across the rocks this weekend. In any case, I have some cross stitch mesh that I used on the overflows. I may use some on the power head. It's a fairly large BTA though.

The guy just sent me a picture of it and I'm excited. He's been parting out the tank and moved some things around and it's moved under a rock for some reason.

stock-016.jpg

Looking great. I like that blue look. Will make corals pop. You could always turn of actinics during day for few hours if on separate timer. Will give you some different lighting.

I doubt a 4 bulb over a 75g will be enough though. I couldn't even keep one in a 55g with my 4 bulb.

The skimmer arrived today! I need to redo the stand I made for the older one tonight or tomorrow but it's up and running. I need to drop it about 2". It maybe took 5mins to setup. I was scared when I opened the box... glad there was a lot of styrofoam :) Fits like a glove!!!!

sump-029.jpg

sump-030.jpg

sump-031.jpg

Same skimmer I got. Love love love it. I keep my water level right about middle. I don't like to wet skimmate and if down towards minimum water level takes while for cup to fill

I just hot the same one on Tuesday or Monday... I've got my water level where the cone starts. After 24 hours I'm pulling out nasty Stuff already. I do have a wet skim and trying to get a drier one so I'll lower a bit too!

It is tough, but if you shake the skimmer a little, you can see the water level make "waves" on the sides

What kind of pump does your skimmer have? I found out some issues with the one my reef octopus uses that may save you guys a headache if it's the same.

Back
Top Bottom