Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #361
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
My sump split!!!!

So my wife is hanging out this evening on the front porch and comes in and says there is water in the garage. Great I think.... the overflow is busted. I go check it out. There is about 10g of water on the floor. The overflows are working fine.... hhhmmmm.

I noticed there is water around the sump.... plumbing is good. WTH? Then I see it.... a huge crack along the back of the sump. WHAT THE HECK???? The base is square and level, there is only about 3" of sand and it's only about 2/3 full. What did I do wrong?!?!?!!?

What a feaking mess. I spent an hour cleaning up. I was lucky that I just got my QT tank ready for some more fish soon. I quickly put all the LR in the display and moved the cheato into a net. I then scooped all the sand into the 15g and filled it with water and dropped in the extra heater and a power head. I saved another 5g in a bucket as well.

Any thoughts for the rebuild this weekend? I think I'm going to get some of that foam board for the bottom just in case it's off a hair. I don't know what else could have done it.

mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #362
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I think I'm going to keep the sump mostly the same when I redo it. The only thing I think I'm going to redo is trim the exiting baffle on the refugium and remove the last baffle.

This is going to lower the sump water level 1" in 2/3 of the sump and cause a little current/disturbance by the small drop off the baffle to the left that will be 1" higher then. I'll move all the baffles over toward the return 1" giving me a tad more room for the skimmer.

I'm also going to put my ATO in the 1st chamber. In the event my overflow dies or clogs, the return chamber will drop dramatically. The ATO will kick in and basically I would have an infinite flood on my hands if I'm out of town or something.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #363
Aquarium Advice Freak

i may be wrong but i don't think the ato will work very well in the first chamber because all of your evap will still be coming out of the return chamber.
HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #364
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I think you're right..... hhhmmmm
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #365
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I've been thinking about this since I got up and it's very perplexing!!! How can one avoid a flood??? You're right about the water levels... the sump will be the same in the other chambers because of the baffles. The only way to truly have a fail safe is with a pump and 2 floats I think. You need 1 float to turn the pump on and off to control the level and a second if it gets too low somewhere else to shut it off entirely I think. I don't think it's possible with a gravity system like I have setup.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #366
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I let myself imagine an ideal setup it includes a hard surface floor and floor drain for the tank area. Even if it were in a living room for example, a catch area with a drain would be great disaster insurance. Because stuff happens. Oh to dream.

- D
Old 03-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #367
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I forgot to post this with my plan. This was the beginning of the sump.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #368
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Little update. I grabbed the 29g I was using for my RO water storage and made a quick sump out of it. No baffles so if my overflow fails... let's just say it will be ugly.

I also found a brand new (with stickers on it) 75g Marineland aquarium drilled for $135! I have that at the house now. I hope to sell the current one for around $40/$50. Right now the 75g is drilled in the corners. I'm not sure if I'm going to drill another hole for an emergency overflow or not. Also, if I only use the 1 return I'll have to drop the SCWD and right now it appears everything in the tank is happy with the flow. We'll see.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #369
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not to be random and slightly off topic but have you ever been to Reef Chief out in Suffolk?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #370
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I haven't yet just because of the drive but I have heard good things through the club.

Tags
75g, build, fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com