Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright then, I'll push it over another inch or so. I really want a bunch of room in the refugium so we'll see what it's like when I get some dividers in there.

I'd suggest flushing that freshly soldered copper pipe quite thoroughly. Even feeding an RO/DI system - just doesn't feel right.

- D

I ran the hot water out of all the faucets for a good 5 or 10 minutes today to make sure there wasn't any flux or anything in the line. We should be good.

I know you want a big refuge but I would say def make return section bigger. All your evaporation will be out of there. Could loose like half to gallon a day. At least I do on my 90gal. My opinion refuge doesnt need to be huge. Just pack it with cheato. In my 55 sump I have about 20 gallons of water in my return section. I forget the dimensions right now. But I have my return pump plumbed to the display tank of course but I also have it going to a T with ball valves to my house plumbing ad can turn off lines to tank and pump 15 gallon water change right out of my return section. Then my salt mix tank is gravity fed back to return section. Just something to think about. Water changes are so easy. I can do 15 gallon change in 7 min. No work. Just takes 7 mins for it to pump water out and to drain back into sump from salt mix tank.

That would be so nice to have the line plumbed into a waste line. Everything is on the other side of the house but I do plan on plumbing a line to the front of the garage and having a hose I can throw into the driveway. That should be pretty awesome!

i would just use an ATO to keep the return section full. I would make it just about large enough to hold the return pump, and keep the intake and refugium as large as possible.
a copper pipe won't effect the R.O.D.I.
you don't have to worry about it.

The plan is to use the 29g I got with the lot for RODI storage and an ATO very soon. I'm planning on a nicer horizontal container (probably 30g) with fittings later on. They run around $100 though so it'll be something for a future date. Yes I know everyone does the Brute thing but I don't want to have a huge trash can out there. If I reenforce the shelving up top later, I can store everything above the water heater and gravity feed things. Shouldn't be difficult, just a few more 2x4s an a few hours.

I just ordered 50lbs Florida reef rock and Chaeto from Reef Cleaners. I really like the way it looks and it's similar to 1/2 the stuff I was given in the lot. I'm working on the sump and plumbing this weekend. I'm probably buying the 1262 return pump this weekend and I should have things moving maybe next weekend?

$108 rock & chaeto
-----------------
$700 total to date?

We keep a plain black background on our tank. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but the bright colors of the fish really stand out nicely. Much better than against the blue (which we started out with). I also saw a background that looked like you were just under the water looking out into the ocean. That was pretty cool, but I haven't seen anything quite like it at our LFS.

I just picked up an EHEIM 1262 and a switch current. The pump was almost $20 cheaper than everyone online at $169 with free shipping.

$200 - pump, switch current & misc
--------------------
$900 total to date

mrbee2828 said:
I just picked up an EHEIM 1262 and a switch current. The pump was almost $20 cheaper than everyone online at $169 with free shipping.

$200 - pump, switch current & misc
--------------------
$900 total to date

Fluval fx5 would've been a better investment for $40 more dollars but it's your choice

I picked up 10 more snails last night. They are really cleaning up the rock well already. The algae and diatoms are getting a bit crazy without all the proper equipment going and no RO water. I also picked up a bunch of supplies at Lowe's today for the sump build.

Doug, I checked out the cutting boards at Walmart. They had a 18" one for about $9. Due to the width of the breeder (18") I needed the larger boards which are of course a bit more. I checked out the acrylic at Lowe's and they had 18"x24" sheets of .22 for $18. I was thinking I might get away with getting 3 baffles out of 1 and 2 out of another. I picked up 3 sheets just in case and will return one if I can. Same price basically. Thanks for the idea though! I'm assuming glass would have been the same price or just a bit cheaper based on the 18" width and thickness I'll need.

I also picked up a ton of PVC parts. I'm going to rock the ghetto overflows like my Malawi build has until I get the cash for a nicer box or find one used.

I grabbed some other misc things as well such as more 1/4" tubing (25' spool) to run my waste water out to the gutter in the attic. I can't imagine what buying all this stuff new would be on top of not doing any DIY. This pushes me over the magic $1k mark and still no fish :)

$15 - 10 snails
$110 - acrylic, pvc and misc
--------------------
$1015 total to date

stock-004.jpg

This is a really neat thread, interesting to see you go throught the process. I have one question though, why is it in your garage? Why not in the house?

Fluval fx5 would've been a better investment for $40 more dollars but it's your choice

A canister filter as a return pump? Sounds like extra maintenance to me.

That's what I was thinking. I already have 2 EHEIM canister filters that came with the tank but I'm doing a sump/refugium on this.

I doubt it would be extra maintenance, considering that canisters work off gravity and wouldn't pump hardly any water up to the DT.

This is a really neat thread, interesting to see you go throught the process. I have one question though, why is it in your garage? Why not in the house?

Good question. My garage is becoming more and more like another room in the house. I'm out there a lot watching sports, doing hobbies or whatever. So...

• The floor is painted and sealed with floor epoxy/paint. I can be as messy as I want while I learn SW. I don't know anything about it so mixing, salt creep, buckets etc etc.. who cares
  • My water is right there so RODI storage and auto top of is going to be easy
  • My wife doesn't care what I do out there (+1,000,000)
  • It's right next to my bar so I can check it out while watching football and such. It's VA... we're a tad redneck but not in a Ford / confederate flag way LOL.
  • I don't have a single inch in my house for 4' of tank. I actually have a column cichlid build in my office just so I could go bigger than 30g. The garage is huge and I can have a huge sump and store equipment.
  • The stand was cheaper and quicker because it didn't have to be polished off and nice like my other one.
  • I'm going to have a hospital tank next to this... more room again
  • I plan on having another 4' frag tank to the left and hook it into the main sump

Back
Top Bottom