Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm working on the last set of baffles after the refugium and was wondering if I even need them. I have a bubble trap up front and then I was planning on another 2 chamber set after. So the water would fall after the refugium, travel up and then over into the return. Is it even worth it? I can return a $18 sheet of acrylic if so. Like so:

sump-010.jpg

Making some good progress today. RODI is all done and working well. I also have the rest of the baffles cut and I'm getting them in place now.

garage-06.jpg

garage-11.jpg

garage-10.jpg

garage-09.jpg

garage-07.jpg

garage-08.jpg

I swung by HD to get a few things today and was surprised to find a small 20g brute trash can! It's going to be perfect for mixing sw. It will fit under the workbench once I get things clean up and sorted.

garage-12.jpg

Yeah, for now anyway. I need to cover the top this week, probably just with some Clingwrap or something to make sure no dust gets in. I didn't want to drill the tank (or even know if I could, it was free) so I just siliconed in some egg crate to hold the float. It' solid. However, now that I know they have 20g Brutes, I may get another for storing it.

I also got the new rock from reef cleaners into the tank. I took everything out, moved all the sand to the front of the tank, and started from the glass up to avoid future shifting. I think it came out pretty awesome. It has a nice cavern over on the left and a nice shelf from the old rock on the right. I'm going to get a bit more to build out the top of the left side a tad.. maybe 5lbs? I think this is a good setup for different coral needs deep to shallow. Thoughts?

tank-005.jpg

Left side:

tank-006.jpg

Right side:

tank-007.jpg

Yeah, for now anyway. I need to cover the top this week, probably just with some Clingwrap or something to make sure no dust gets in. I didn't want to drill the tank (or even know if I could, it was free) so I just siliconed in some egg crate to hold the float. It' solid. However, now that I know they have 20g Brutes, I may get another for storing it.

I bought a 20g brute for RO/DI storage. They're just right, not too big, not too small. Not sure if I missed it yet, but what ATO configuration are you going with?

Last for today I think... I finished the sump baffles yesterday. The refugium is 10" high 14" long and 18" deep. I also ordered some sock filters and I'm looking into a cheap refugium light setup right now. I found a nice 5100k CFL bulb online but it's almost as much as the bulb to ship. HD and Lowe's here have nothing over 2700k it seems.

Anyway... plumbing will be done by tomorrow night and water should be moving mid week with the skimmer. The tank is getting a bit nasty with just the powerhead. Having said that, the levels are fortunately still good, the water is just cloudy and I have algae all over.

sump-011.jpg

I bought a 20g brute for RO/DI storage. They're just right, not too big, not too small. Not sure if I missed it yet, but what ATO configuration are you going with?

I was surprised when I found that today. It actually fits on my shelf above too! I think I may get 2 of these in a few weeks and replace the 29g tank. I can daisy chain them and use the float in 1.

ATO... I have another float for the return chamber and I'm just doing a very simple gravity fed 1/4" line from that storage tank. I'm just going to start a siphon and hook it in. Should work in a perfect world right?

In a perfect world, sure. I'd definitely invest in a float switch and aqualifter at some point though. As unimportant as an ATO seems, if that siphon breaks and you're out for a few days, it could cause some big issues, especially if you have a lot of evap. If you're going to buy a controller, a float switch is just another $25-30, and the aqualifters are only about $15. If you do a standalone ATO, you're looking at about $50 for the switches and then the $15 for the pump. A worthwhile investment for sure, IMHO

Aren't the odds of the siphon breaking on a 6' drop in a 1/4" tube the same as the float switch dying or a snail getting in it etc... or the aqualifter dying or power being out? I'm not arguing that a switch and pump aren't great setups, I'm just saying, they all have their flaws right?

I would think that a gravity feed system with no electrical parts would have less chance of failing. It's all chance I guess. We'll see how it goes. I work at home, I only travel once a year and all my fiends and family are about a mile from my house in the event their is a failure that week :)

Well, sounds like you'll be fine then, especially if you're checking it every day. Not something I can do (or would with a good feeling), but we do travel a lot, and I'm often not home most of the weekend. Looks like you've got a nice build going so far :)

looking good. 1" pvc diy overflow isnt enough for 900 gph. i remember chatting a little with you back when i was trying to do mine. i think max i got out of mine was 300 +/- gph. no matter what configuration i tried. you may want to double check me before you put it in your tank for its first critical use.

Back
Top Bottom