Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet... again, it's all temporary I think. This summer, when I put the frag tank to the left, I'm plumbing that into the 40g sump and adding another return pump. So everything will be changing some, if not a lot.

I screwed up and cemented the wrong pipes together so I have to go back to HD for the 3rd time since Sunday!!!! I'm super pissed but what can you do? I haven't decided if I'm going tonight or tomorrow eeerrrr... :banghead:

Haha. If you only knew how many times I've done that. Now I have a ton of elbows, unions, etc with short pieces glued on that I might use to frankenstein something together one day.

lol, good to know I'm not alone I guess. I didn't make it up there tonight. I'm just going to buy a bunch of the things tomorrow around noon and try and finish. Hopefully I'll have a second wind tomorrow.

Well I ran up to HD and I guess I need to go back again!!!! I'm not sure. My issue now is that the gat valve is so large in combination with the threaded to slip adapters I'm not comfortable with how close the valve will be to the sump top.

If I could get a double threaded male piece and a new T with 2 slips 2 one threaded end it would be perfect... but what are the chances they would have something like that you know? If I bring outward as planned it comes way to far out from the wall and into the space I want the sump in (the front portion) for easier maintenance. I can't believe I'm having space issues with how much room I had to start with LOL. I can't imagine this in a true stand.

Anyway... progress. The overflows are almost invisible from the front which is amazing given how large they are.

sump-013.jpg

sump-014.jpg

I just had a thought when I walked back out there. If I drill a hole through the 2nd 2x6 which is about 4" away form the wall (directly under the rear glass) I would get about 4"-5" back. It' would be a booger to glue the elbow in but I think it would be worth it.

Running through the 2x6 should work but to be on the safe side I would put an extra 2x6 in tight fitting between the end and center brace on each side, make sure to screw the bleep out of it to the other 2x6 and to your end and center braces.

It's already has 3 2x6s spanning the 8' width of the workbench so it should be fine. I'm almost done with the 2nd one right now. Will post pictures soon...

Oh gotcha couldn't tell from the pic, should be plenty fine then. Let's see some pics of the tank. Are your overflows just using syphon to draw out of the tank?

Well, epic fail today. No running water and no fish. The plumbing through all the wood and figuring out the configuration to the filter took too much time and weekday life kicked in at 5:30. I'll finish tomorrow (said the foolish man earlier in this thread).

We had planned to get our clown fish pair tonight as well but they didn't have a mated pair at Animal Jungle or 2 near the same size. Actually kinda' strange, they only had 3 percula clowns tonight. Really small, really big and something in the middle with a scrape it appeared. They must of sold out earlier (fish are 20% on Wednesdays).

Oh well... it was good not to rush anyway. So finish plumbing, get the skimmer figured out and get things settled until I find a nice pair.

you may think it a jenky set up to have that split return like you built, but i got mine up and running today and am pleased with it. i think its a great set up, for my tank at least, for supplementary flow with the actual power heads. plus it does return water.

just saying.

Well the rock was 6years old when I got it and I have had the tank going for about 6 weeks give or take. It appears to have been cycled a few weeks ago. I've had snails and crabs in there for a few weeks as well trying to clean stuff up. Lots of algae and diatoms without a good flow and filtration going. I'm probably getting fish this weekend or next Wednesday. Depends on price and stock. We're starting out with 2 clowns for now.

I mixed 20gallons yesterday and I'm mixing another 10 right now. Hopefully that's enough to fill everything. I'm also going to try and get another 50lbs of rock for the sump and a few more pieces for the main display.

sump-016.jpg

sump-015.jpg

Anemone too??? I think if doing one best to put in first before any corals so it can get its spot. Usually once they find spot they like it won't move. I wish I knew better when I first started my tank and put anemone in first. Now I'm afraid to. Don't want it to kill any corals.

What species of clowns???

We're getting a pair of perculas.... I have kids so what can you do :) I'm planning on getting a bubble tip of some sort for them, and yes, plan on getting that before any corals. All a long way down the road though.

Back
Top Bottom