Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the idea honestly. I'm in an apartment for the moment but if I had a garage/basement thats where my tanks would go & I'd probably just fill the room with them :).

I was just curious how cold itll get to in the garage say late january/early feb. and how many watts of heating you're going to need lol

I hear you. We'll be finding out together :) A basement would be way better. Even if it wasn't climate controlled, you're underground and well insulated plus the doors will never open. That's my bigger concern. Say it takes 10 heaters to keep it at 78° etc... what happens when the doors open to get a bike out etc? Will it shock the tank? Not sure... I'm banking on the kids not wanting to ride bikes when it's < 50° out though :)

yea I didn't even think about it because im up north... how warm does it get there? you could actually need a chiller lol

No doubt, I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'll be buying a chiller this spring. There have been a few on Craigslist so I imagine I'll be dropping $300-$500 on that in the future. I don't think there will be anyway around it. It gets down in the 20s in the winter and up in the 90s in the summer so I've to to cover both scenarios.

I just thought it would be fun to share a comment from my father in-law today. He came over for a few minutes to say hi and check out the garage doors.

He looks at the tank and says "So when are you planning on filling it and getting it going?"

Ultimate water clarity comment... and I don't even have the sump going yet :)

I have a plumber (friend of a friend) coming over tomorrow or Tuesday to redo my water heater supply line for me. Unfortunately the prior owner put a self tapping fixture on the line that's getting pretty nasty and he bent the supply line. So this is getting cut off tomorrow and we're redoing this with 2 shut offs and a threaded end for my future RODI filter system... which will be bought on Tuesday thanks to this site and a group buy w00t.

sump-004.jpg

Here is a quick sketch for the 40g sump. I'm leaving some space on entry for a larger skimmer in the future. Right now I just have the hang on that came with the CL buy. I was planning on (and still may) move the refugium to the right side and T off the return line for a slower flow area but I've read now that flow doesn't really make a difference. If I do, the return would be in the middle like my FW build.

sump-003.jpg

The plumber bailed on me this afternoon. He's hoping to come tomorrow. I ordered the RODI and float valve though. This is adding up fast and I don't even have fish or coral yet lol. The RODI will be great for my FW tank too so it's all good.

$200 RODI & valve from BRS
----------------------------
$580 total to date

Something to think about... the Bubble Magus NAC7 is $200 shipped from BRS during the group buy, that's right at $50 off.

That's an awesome deal! I'm planning on getting a much nice skimmer than the one that came with the tank but it'll be towards the end of the year I think. I need to pick up a return pump, make an overflow and get the sump squared away. Once I have everything "working" I'm going to start upgrading as I add stock. I'm leaving a good amount of space for a nice skimmer in the sump.

Quick update on the plumbing. The guy came by today and redid the supply line and added 2 shut offs and did everything with threaded ends. I need to run some straps the shelf for some support later. I'm going to run up to HD this weekend and get a Y for a gate valve and the RODI supply line. The filter should be here Monday or Tuesday next week so I need to get the 29 gallon tank cleaned out and ready for water storage :)

garage-04.jpg

I like ball valves better. It seems that every gate valve I've ever had has leaked at some point. Ball valves just seem to have a better 'leak proof' design. Maybe it's just me.

I would make that intake chamber larger on the sump. You are going to want to research possible skimmers to get an idea of the one you are going to eventually have for your system. You are probably going to want something rated for 150 gallons or so.

Dang do you really think I'm going to need more than a 10"x18" spot for a skimmer? The Reef Octopus Cone Sump Saver 3000 is 12"x10" roughly an there is no way I'm buying something that big/expensive for this :)

The space savers are generally more money, unless you go with a Bubble Magus. Many of their skimmers have decent footprints. If you opt for the cheaper Octos, like for instance the NWB 150, have a larger footprint ( approximately 12" x 9"). You aren't going to have any room in that area. You are going to want to be able to get your hands in there around that skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom