Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just checked on the clowns.... they are still swimming so I guess that's a good thing :) But even cooler, I keep learning. So I haven't see one of my emerald crabs in way over a week and last week I saw what I thought were his remains. I was pretty bummed but I just saw him when I cut the lights on.... I guess they molt! I learned the shrimp do as well because last week I saw the shrimp's old skin. Interesting!

thats awesome im glad both emeralds are still alive! do you have pics of the clowns? how are the kids liking having "nemo" did you let them name them?

I have been wrestling with the old skimmer all morning. I'm missing some parts and don't understand others. I started a new thread about it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/help-with-used-coralife-skimmer-191743.html

The fish seem happy this morning. They are alive which makes me happy hahha. The water is still super cloudy. When I first setup the tank it was crystal clear for a week or 2. Since I've added the newer rock and hooked up the sump it hasn't been very clear. Even with the water change last week. I threw in some carbon last night but it hasn't done much to help out. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

So I'm trolling through all the junk the guy gave me and I found a Rio 400 with a rotating spray bar!!!!! Hello sump surface movement :) He also had some big pondmaster filters so I just through them in the bubble trap for a little while. I stirred up all the rock to try and get this thing cleaned up. There is so much snail poo (I assume) from them eating the growth on the rocks.

sump-019.jpg

sump-020.jpg

oh dear God!!! I hope not lol, I'm doing it all wrong with elbows and everything hahhaa. I can build you an ugly overflow on the cheap any day of the week though lol

thats the best way though. it's all going to get covered in algae anyways so who cares imo

Bad luck this morning. I built the platform for the skimmer and got it going but it was too high so I cut it down 2" and when I plugged everything back in the shaft inside the pump broke. It just a small POS plastic rod. I'm wondering if I can buy another at the LFS or if I can just get a piece of plastic rod somewhere to fix it.

Also, my powerhead has seemed to also break it's rod. However, the powerhead's is more of a cylinder and I managed to glue that one. I'm sure it won't hold long. It's going to be another month before I can afford even some used powerheads so I'm crossing my fingers. :nono:

In other good news, the tank was crystal clear this morning and the clowns had their first frozen shrimp breakfast and ate well.

Through some luck a prayer I managed to get another ceramic rod for the pump and trim it to fit in the Rio1100. I don't under stand the skimmer at all and without proper parts and having others that are broken I don' think it's going to do me much good. Here are some pictures, the clowns are way to active right now to get a clear shot.

tank-008.jpg

stock-012.jpg

Can anyone tell me where the water line/bubble mass should be on average? It's probably different on every skimmer. I have the valve by the pump, a valve on the return to adjust and I can adjust the height so there is a lot involved.

sump-021.jpg

I think thats the same skimmer i have and the same ones they use in Pet Paradise (if you've been there) the line is usually supposed to be right at the bottom of the cup, but it all depends on where you want it to.

10hrs or so... way to "wet" right? And yes, that is acrylic sitting on top until I think of something better to replace the missing cover :)

sump-023.jpg

So to empty this I need to cut the power, remove the top section, rinse, return, power up. I hear about this "break in" period all the time. Does that refer to the amount of bubble build up in the cylinder? I ask because I'm wondering if it needs to "break in" after I clean it.. and if so, how often should I clean it if it interrupts it's sweet spot?

The break in is to get all the manufacture oils off of it. When I clean my skimmer it takes a while for it to start working so I leave the inside a little foamy and it starts pulling skim out right away. Hope that helps.

I spotted a RTBA on a local reef forum this morning. I have been reading on and off about them for months along with other stock on my wish list. While my tank has only been online for about 2 months, the LR was 6 years old. I was just wondering if it would be premature to get one of these for the clowns. If not, do I need to be dosing yet (Cal etc)? I understand their diet needs and I'm hoping my PC lighting is decent enough for them. The prior tank owner had corals with these lights. Temp, PH, salinity etc are all right for it.

The break in is to get all the manufacture oils off of it. When I clean my skimmer it takes a while for it to start working so I leave the inside a little foamy and it starts pulling skim out right away. Hope that helps.

Given this that thing is older than dirt I doubt it has any of those on it anymore then huh? :ROFLMAO:

Lol I didn't catch that part. It shouldn't need to then I would let the inside of the neck get a little scummy mine seems to work better like that

Thanks... yeah everything I got from the guy in December was super old. This may have been Abraham Lincoln's first skimmer if I'm not mistaken!!!!

Back
Top Bottom