Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure of the exact outer dimensions but it's 55mm plumbing on the 150. Basically, it's snug as hell with a 1.5" rubber coupling. If you go PVC on this you need a 2" T to go over it and a decent amount of tape.

As for the cap, yeah you need it. It acts like a muffler just like on the overflows. Without it you get the toilet sound which is almost worse that the splashing :)

**** it... I spelled "reef" wrong in the post title for that article and it's part of the URL so I don't even think I can can get a moderator to fix it for me :(

Has anyone bought or know anyone that has bought one of the off brand heaters on ebay?

heater | eBay

I want to get a 150w or a 200w for my mixing station. It would only be used for a few hours a week at most and live in the empty brute the rest of the time. I don't think I would put one of these in my DT but in a can for a few hours a week? Thoughts?

Rubber coupling - seemed so much easier, plus I'm sure it fits better in my sump. I've checked three times to make sure the skimmer was running.

So I just measured everything in the tank that I can with my kits. My phosphates have dropped in about 1/2 since the skimmers were online, about 2 weeks I guess. We're around .2 now!

I also measured my calcium and hardness for the first time ever and I'm finding around 11°dkh and 480ppm Ca. This is with the API kit so I'm sure it's not really exact but those numbers look decent based on what's in the kit recommendations. Everything is where it needs to be including PH at 8.3. Lastly, my salinity is a bit high from my last mix at 1.025 but I removed a bit of water and I'm letting the ato fill in a bit to help bring it down a bit. Not to much, but slowly of course.

Your salinity is fine there... 1.023-1.027 is a fine range. I keep mine at 1.026 consistently.

ok I was shooting or 1.024. I only removed a few cups and with the sump I have about a 100g+ volume. I'll leave it then, thanks.

Also, the candy cane corals fell over last night. Not sure if it was a crab or if it was the flow. I moved them from the lower portion of then tank to the top in a nice hole. I'll see how they do there today. They are still really closed up.

I also added some timers for my new lights yesterday. The anemone must have not liked the moonlights because it moved under the rock over night. He's come back out since the other lights have come on this morning.

Have you had any issues with the skimmer? Did you have to readjust it at all?

I just checked mine and the entire collection cup was full of nasty green water. I dialed the skimmer back and will continue to monitor.

No issues so far but it's only been a few days. I had it running a bit wet as well and dialed it back a tad this morning after cleaning. Honestly I had it in there with the 4" base I made for the old skimmer Friday. I didn't get a chance to trim it down to 2" until Sunday morning. Then I added the silencer yesterday. I'll try and remember to post an update this weekend... give it some time to settle down since I don't need to anything major with it from here out.

Has anyone bought or know anyone that has bought one of the off brand heaters on ebay?

heater | eBay

I want to get a 150w or a 200w for my mixing station. It would only be used for a few hours a week at most and live in the empty brute the rest of the time. I don't think I would put one of these in my DT but in a can for a few hours a week? Thoughts?

it doesnt show what brand you were looking at just a ebay page of heaters, how much were you looking to spend on a heater? i have had good luck with AquaTop heaters, they are fairly cheep as well and fully submersible with great temp gauges that are easily adjusted. i think a 200w is on ebay for 15 bucks?

i would rather use the aquatop's than my fluval m series heater that i have

Any of them... most are brands I haven't heard of but super cheap. Knock offs or something. I'm just asking if anyone had gotten any of these off brand ones. Like I said.. it's for heating new SW for a few hours a week.

i would definitely recommend aqua top, but i would imagine the cheaper ones would work, dont know if i would trust the ones for 7 bucks though, it just seems that if they can turn a profit on 7$ they are cutting something that others are not.

In some weird twist of leap year craziness, 2 of my 3 my emeralds (who hide all day) decided to come out together this evening without a care in the world. Cool shot!

stock-021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom