Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

BEN's 40 BREEDER

I'm very excited about this build finally getting rolling, and am making some headway battling the bryopsis by hiking up my magnesium levels with Kent Tech M. It's set up with an AquaClear 70, Reef Octo BH2000, Jäger 150 watt heater, and 2 Koralia EVO 1400's on a Hydor Wave maker. In the AC70, I run a sponge, then GFO, then filter floss on top. Im currently using a TaoTronics dimmable LED blue/white light, that is set to about 70% white and 100% blue. Here's a pic of the current setup...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-104544784.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	202375

As far as livestock, there are 2 mocha clowns, lavender dotty back, tiger goby, and a clown goby. I also have a couple snails, a coral banded shrimp, and a red legged hermit crab. The clowns are finally hosting my BTA.

I have a nice hammer coral at my LFS I will be adding once this algae subsides, or as soon as I'm confident it is nearly eradicated. Where would be a good spot for this hammer coral? I'm thinking to the left of the anemone?

Also, concerning corals, with the dimmable LED, I know I must acclimate them, but do I need to "reverse" acclimate the ones that are in the tank every time, or just drop the lighting when a new
one is added and slowly bring it up?

Also, any suggestions and or comments as to
help improve my tank and help me gain experience and knowledge are always welcome...

PS... Here's one of my dogs chillin

Name:	image-3208035285.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	202376

Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice! I have a 40 breeder as well. I like making lots of caves with my live rock due to the fact that I own a Swissguard Basslet. They like living in caves.
Are you clowns sharing the anemone? When I bought my snowflake clowns I had one bubble anemone. The larger of the clowns took to it on the first day and would not let the smaller one in though. So I went ahead and bought another one for the smaller clown. To my luck the new anemone settled in the same area is the old one. However, the larger (probable soon to be female) clown took over the new anemone as well. The smaller guy wants to go in but the larger clown drives him away. So I have one clown hosting in two anemones and one hosting in none! Funny, isn't it?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

By the way, your dog is nice and funny. I own two bulldogs (English and French)
Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
Nice! I have a 40 breeder as well. I like making lots of caves with my live rock due to the fact that I own a Swissguard Basslet. They like living in caves.
Are you clowns sharing the anemone? When I bought my snowflake clowns I had one bubble anemone. The larger of the clowns took to it on the first day and would not let the smaller one in though. So I went ahead and bought another one for the smaller clown. To my luck the new anemone settled in the same area is the old one. However, the larger (probable soon to be female) clown took over the new anemone as well. The smaller guy wants to go in but the larger clown drives him away. So I have one clown hosting in two anemones and one hosting in none! Funny, isn't it?
The small clown always seems to be within inches of the nem and the big clown likes hanging out in it... I was considering getting another anemone but would rather save the space for corals...
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
By the way, your dog is nice and funny. I own two bulldogs (English and French)
And thank you.. He is an Olde English Bulldog, about 2 years old. His sister is a Boston Terrier
about 3 years ol.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any advice for placement on the hammer coral? Its a pretty decent size, maybe 4-5 inches. Also, would it be bad to add it while still fighting off bryopsis?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks good! I would say you can add the hammer, ime euphylias tend to do better with some nutrients present. Def start it on the sb and you could leave it down there or move up to bottom third of the tank if you go higher I would choose a spot that is partially shaded by a ledge or something. A moderate flow area as well. Pic?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok thanks... I was thinking in that little spot that looks like a cave towards the left of the rock work. I don't have a pic quite yet, but my LFS had a $10 sale it was a part of... Good stuff.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a pic update of before I started dosing Kent Tech M and a couple weeks into it, to treat the bryopsis. I also did a 25% water change right before I started dosing...

Name:	image-1741244356.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	202537

Definitely losing is lush green fern like characteristics... Starting to become clear and stringy. Hopefully not much longer...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2986645641.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	202536  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I'm considering doing either a HOB refugium, or a HOB phosphate reactor. What would be the benefit of each of these, and would one outweigh the other (space limitations)...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com