Berlin Classic vs. AquaC Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtglore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry to submit another comparison like this. :? And yes, I'm basically hoping y'all can all tell me which skimmer to purchase for a 55 gallon reef with a 15 gallon sump (skimmer in sump). Majority rules... I'll give the poll three days duration.

So, what do you think: the Berlin Classic or the AquaC Urchin? Whichever I choose, I will upgrade to a MaxiJet PH.

Opinions from experience are especially appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

-Michael

my vote is berlin also i bought one and did a lot of research first.

Thanks, timbo2! You are now my favorite member. I especially loved your work in the forum, "It's About Time to Get this Party Started"--one of my favorites!

Anyone else?

Woah...I can't believe I have favorite posts and such... Y'all should make trading cards...

Damn, I sent that last reply too soon. Rock on, alrmc4! I wouldn't trade your card for a timbo2. Not yet, anyway...

-Michael

Oh, and overall value is a consideration, so keep price in mind, too.

Keep it up, All-Stars!

-Michael

I have no experience with the Urchin, but I can say Aqua C makes excellent skimmers, their Remora/Remora Pro HOB skimmer is considered the best HOB skimmer on the market. The Urchin, I believe is their in sump version of the Remora. I don't think you can go wrong with the Berlin on that size tank either, I used a Berlin Classic to skim a 150g tank (I used a mag 9.5 for the pump) and was pleased with the job it did. Either way you get a good skimmer, this might be one of those win/win situations where you look to the best price for a guide.

The score is as follows:

Berlin: 2
AquaC: 1

It's close, folks. Nomar Garciaparra could break this thing wide-open from the clutch, though... Nomar?

-Michael

Since I don't have any experience with the Urchin and I do with the Berlin, I'd have to go with the Berlin. You'll want to put at least a Mag 5 on it if not a Mag 7 though. Be careful when you screw the fitting into the venturi as it's easily cracked if you overtighten it. The Berlin I'm using consistently pulls good dry skimate and it's very easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Thanks Michael,

That was a good discussion...I enjoyed reading it again... :D

Between these 2 I would actually upgrade to the Urchin pro. I'm currently running the Remora pro (HOT version of the urchin pro) and am totally satisifed.

Brian

I don't know if it's the same or not. I have (now) an in sump aqua clear aquatics skimmer, and I think its junk. I am considering a berlin turbo HOB for my next purchase.

They are not the same. I also have one of the Aqua Clear skimmers (in sump) and it does a good job. I trashed the Rio and put a MJ 900 on it with a venturi kit. I probably should have used a 1200, but the 900 was handy. What do you want for the Aqua Clear? I might take it off your hands if you're interested. IMO, they aren't suitable for anything much over 20 gal.

Back
Top Bottom