Berlin Method at altitude?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told by someone today that the berlin method does not work at altitude, Is this true? I could see how this idea could come to be(less O2 at altitude) but I dont think that should make a big difference. But that does get me wondering, how does the oxygen get into the reef tank? Is it just produced as a bi-product of the live rock eating CO2 or what?
Zero

I've not heard this, but I know a guy that lives in the mountains in Colorado and runs his tank with a DSB and LR, no other biological filtration, he's not had any problems.

Cool, The guy that told me this was from colorado, and it puts me at a better piece of mind. Also, one other question, Do I put the live rock in and then the sand or put the sand in and then the live rock?
Thanks
Zero

Some will tell you to place your rock on the aquarium bottom, then put your sand in, and I admit, that is probably the best method, but I like to add the sand first and sink the rock into the sand. If using a DSB, placing the rock directly on the bottom is going to completely cover some of your rock, again it is probably the best method, I just personally have a problem with it, LOL.

I like to take small/medium size pieces of base rock and sink them in the sand until they touch the bottom. I try to pick pieces that will stick up out of the sand at least 1/2". Then, using some stick epoxy to secure everything, I use them as support pillars for the rest of the rock. You'll still have some rock sitting on the sand, but this will get a lot of it off of the sandbed and still give you a stable base for your rock. I suspect you could make some pillars from concrete using pieces of PVC pipe as a form...haven't tried that yet.

loganj said:
I suspect you could make some pillars from concrete using pieces of PVC pipe as a form...haven't tried that yet.

i have heard of using pvc pipe for a platform......but i think your idea would be much more pleasing to the eye in case any of it has to be showing.....i think i may have to try that :D

But that does get me wondering, how does the oxygen get into the reef tank? Is it just produced as a bi-product of the live rock eating CO2 or what?
Zero

Oxygen enters the aquarium in a few ways. Surface agitation is a major factor. Every time the surface of the water is broken, gas exchange takes place. Co2 is normally vented off and O2 is able to enter the water. Another way Oxygen is able to "get in' is through plant life in the aquarium during photosynthesis, whether that be algae, plants, etc.

You could also "bubble" Oxygen in by using air pumps, but this is really un-needed in a properly setup fish tank. This is mostly used in FW but even then that is for show.

Is this true? I could see how this idea could come to be(less O2 at altitude

Ok. This is a "pet peeve" of mine from my diving school days. There actually is not less oxygen at higher altitudes. The makeup of oxygen in the atmosphere is the same at 100 ft as it is at 50,000 ft (~21%). The difference is there is less air pressure holding the oxygen molecules together at higher altitudes, so in fact, they are spread out more at higher altitudes than at lower altitudes. If we could "suck" in more air at higher altitudes, we would be able to breath in those low pressure scenarios.

Just thought you might like a quick science lesson. :)

Back
Top Bottom