Best Anemone for Clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisAre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple True Percs, still unsexed, and I'm wondering what kind of Anemone they'd like. I don't have fantastic lighting (PC 3 WPG) and I know that's a factor.

Thanks!

There is really no guarantee that the clowns will host the anenome. I know I bought one and had to get rid of it as my clowns totally ignored it for some corals in my tank. I`m also concerned that your lighting is not enough in your tank.

They may or may not take to an anemone. Typically they will take to a Bubble Tip but again there are no guarantees. Lighting may be an issue for you more then the fish taking to it.

That's pretty low WPG, but you'll find that many people on here suggest that WPG doesn't really apply to Saltwater, and that's an outdated method of calculation for lighting requirements.
I had a pink tip under PC, and it walked around alot (sign of stress)...it would go all the way to the top of the tank (needed more light), and by your comparison I had 5 WPG. It wasn't enough. I recommend MH lighting before keeping an anemone, or maybe T-5 VHO lighting. Anyways, my fireclown loved the anemone. I just had to take him out of there 'cause he wasn't happy...the clown uses the Xenia colonies in my tank as it's host now.

As stated above WPG is really outdated. We use it as a reference or a guide but a broad one. Intensity and Par are better to go with today`s lighting. T5`s and MH`s are definitely better to use because of their higher intensity. You might get by with VHO`s if you had 4 bulbs or more.

melosu (or anyone else who can provide an answer:

You said wpg is outdated and intensity and Par are how one determines adequate lighting- would you explain this further, or provide some link to a site that can explain it well? I'm assuming intensity has to do w/ measuring the output in kelvin, but I have no clue what Par is. I'd love to be able to measure lighting in something similar to wpg. Thanks!

Chris

Thanks ziggy! Also, I got very distracted reading about your tank build. I'm only about half way through, but very interesting! :)

Back
Top Bottom