Best Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darknessheir

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read alot about tangs and really want a blue one. Everything I have read about them says that they are more disease prone verses brown,purple and yellow. Out of the different species of blue tangs which is the most disease resistent.

All tangs are the same in terms of disease (specifically ich) ime and they all, along with all fish, need to be quarantined appropriately. What size tank do you have?

IME as James said all tangs are more suseptible to ich. Color has nothing to do with it.

I always thought some are more succeptible than others. Yellow, purples, nasos, some bristletooths seem to be more ich resistant IMO. Hippos, powder blue and browns and some of the other more exotics - well, I'm one big chicken and won't try them. :)

75 with a 29 sump. currently just getting it set up. waiting for some supplies to show up. I really just want a blue tang or a look alike for my 3 yr old. I saw a blue butterfly fish might be able to pass

Don't introduce ich and you won't have ich. If you're just getting started and have no inverts/corals, then your display tank is your quarantine tank. If one shows up with ich, then treat it (I recommend hyposalinity). If nothing shows in a month or more, then have at it with corals and inverts.

You won't till a tang is in there and contracts it if at all..... i.e Hippo, then treat with hypo tank is clear of ICH then quarantine in seperate tank anything else that goes in. ICH gone......

IMO:

You should QT your 1st fish, your 2nd fish, your 10,000 fish before adding it to your display. Why would you want to add any fish to your 75 gallons of prepared water only to introduce something to screw that up? If that happens then it's either meds to treat 75 gallons of water, getting all your fish out to go fallow or trying to bring your display in and out of hypo... I'd rather have my finger nails pulled one at a time, thank you very much.

No better time to get the right equipment, get in the right habits than from the start. All and any fish can get ich (among other diseases).

Granted you could put the fish in the display, wait and see what happens. If the worst happens try and catch the fish, move to QT to treat and let the tank go fallow to kill the parasite life cycle in the display. Or save yourself the hassle and just QT upfront and decide on how to treat in your smaller QT tank.

FWIW

Do your self a favor and buy a 20g long or 29g tank, an HOB skimmer, and a cheap flourescent light fixture. No sand, no rocks (well, maybe one sacrificed for the QT). PVC pcs for hiding. The rock for the tang to feel he has something to hide behind.

As you're just starting, it'd be a good time to set up a QT as you add new fish. It can serve as a hospital tank also if you ever need meds too.

You might get lucky and never get/introduce anything like ick or velvet to your tank - - - but if you did, you'll sure wish you did heed the QT advice. Nothing like a tank full of fish, rock, sand, and healthy inverts only to introduce a disease that will tear your tank down for you.

So I am looking at buying this package of live rock, live sand and inverts/cleaners from tampa bay salt water. Has anyone used them? Just want to know if they are a good choice.

yes, I've heard of them, in fact, some people in here bought from them before, check on the search box and type Tampa Bay, their rocks are great, it has many corals on it, their colors are awesome as they are aquacultured. I remember reading some articles on someone buying from them and really satisfied with it, slightly more expensive than others for sure.

Back
Top Bottom