Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsharksfan View Post
So, in my Aquacon cart I have: tank raised green polyp leather coral, Ricordea Florida Lavender, and purple tip green frogspawn. Any mistakes being made here? (including vendor?)

Thanks.

I've actually not heard good things about them. Idk

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update. Switched to Galaxea Coral, Kenya tree and Ricordea Florida Lavender. $178 with shipping. Jeesh!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That sounds really expensive even with $50 shipping (usual cost for overnight) you can probably do better. Have you checked other sites? Also galexeas are really aggressive and will sting and kill pretty much any coral in range (6-8") so be careful with where you place them.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aquacon is significantly cheaper than liveaquaria... but I haven't ventured beyond these two sites. I'll keep shopping. Also read in my coral book that Kenya Trees are slow growing and rely less on zooxanthellae than most coral and therefore are much more reliant on "feeding" and are therefore more difficult to maintain - which is totally contradictory to what the aquacon site said.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsharksfan View Post
Aquacon is significantly cheaper than liveaquaria... but I haven't ventured beyond these two sites. I'll keep shopping. Also read in my coral book that Kenya Trees are slow growing and rely less on zooxanthellae than most coral and therefore are much more reliant on "feeding" and are therefore more difficult to maintain - which is totally contradictory to what the aquacon site said.

Lol Kenya tree is one of the fastest spreading corals in the hobby. Once it gets big enough it will drop branches which spread and grow into new trees and continue the process until your tank is overrun and you hate yourself for buying Kenya tree lol.

When I worked in a lfs I actually find a nudi branch that fed exclusively on Kenya tree corals. Quite an interesting animal and IMO quite handy for overrun tanks. But that's the only time I've ever seen one. But for beginners it is a hardy easy to keep coral. Just warning about how much of a pain it can become if you do move into nicer corals.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, last go. I found a store that is somewhat local that can ship to me for $15 (it would cost $15 in gas to drive there plus 2 hrs rt). I have a single orange ricordea (any input on how quickly - if at all - they multiply?) $19.99, ORA green polyp toadstool $39.99 (no indication as to size), two heads of Duncan's whisker coral $29.98 total, and moon brain coral (3-4") $39.99. Any thoughts on price or selection. I toyed with the idea of getting a "frag pack" for $124 but figured if I do that I might not like half of what I get.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Seems ok to me. $15 shipping isn't to bad. The brain seems a bit high on pricing but everything else looks ok.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Fish R friends, not food!

Whatever you do, don't ever get pulsing xenia! That stuff is a plague!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do remember from my first stint with sw that pulsing xenia are to be avoided. I did opt for orange lace clove polyp instead of the brain. What is the best thing to "feed" coral? Do you target feed them or just dose the tank with the stuff every so often.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #20
Fish R friends, not food!

There are 2 different schools of thought on that one! If you are keeping up with water changes and don't have any really demanding corals, then no feeding is necessary. Others feed them whenever they feed the tank. I personally don't feed my corals, but I don't have that many either.....

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com