Best dwarf angel for a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Which dwarf angelfish would be the best one to try for a reef tank

Yeah my favorite is the potter's angel, but they seem to need larger tanks than the others (based on other sites than liveaquaria..like bluezooaquatics). Take a chance if you want. They seem to not pick on sps dominant tanks, but who knows. It depends on the individual specimen I suppose.

Alright I may be removing some of my corals and way and just keeping a large

Alright I might be removing most of my corals anyway and just keeping my large tree coral and my anemone.

Angelfish love to pick on soft corals and sps. I have angelfish smaller than a quarter and they all most killed my softie.

I had a flame and never had a problem with him. But you also have to remember all fish are different one may work another may not

I had a flame and never had a problem with him. But you also have to remember all fish are different one may work another may not

The flame angel is the only angel I ever had live in my tank for any long term that didn't eat corals, BUT after a few month he too started nipping at my soft corals and my LPS but didn't mess with the sps I had back then.

I have a 15 year old coral beauty, a 10 year old flame and a 5 year old black tail. I have a lot of coral in my 300 and they have done no damage. The black tail picks more than the others do. In a smaller system, the results could be a lot different. All angels peck at everything.

My coral beauty doesn't pick at my SPS, soft coral, or my clam. Though this is not typical. This, IMO, is the best pick for a reef if you want to chance it...though it is all about personality.

I have a coral beauty in my reef, I will be turning my reef into a fowlr and moving my reef to my upgrade. My coral beauty will stay out of the reef, not because he bothers my coral but because I want to add tube worms, scallops and potentially clams (once established enough) and I have read they will pick at these inverts for sure.

I've had a cherub Pygmy in a 90g with zero issues and have seen several reefs with those, Flameback pygmys as well as a variety of dwarfs. I really think the end result is in the actual fish you get and their preferences.

I think I'm going to take the chance and get a rusty angel. Saw one for a good price at my LFS and we hardly get them in Australia

Just picked up a beautiful rusty angel for $45 will post a pic a little later

Back
Top Bottom