Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best Filter Pads?|

Can any one tell me which are the best filter pad for a bio ball filtration, one that does not tear up when you use the hose pistol to clean it. THANKS.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

flter pads should be replaced on a regular basis. I like poly filters or PURA pads.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you can, try to buy your poly filter material from a Fabric store. I use the poly fill that they use to put in homemade quilts. I bought a blue and white layered piece that was like 1/2" deep and 3 yards of it for about $5 or $6. Same stuff!

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going to say the same thing, No_Floaters. I buy poly "bedding" at a fabric store too. A $5 bag lasts me almost a year and I change them 1-2 times a week!
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep in mind that Poly Filter is an actual brand of chemical filtration that absorbs PO4, NH3 and the like from the water. It is far different from the cloth type quilt batting you get at the fabric store.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's true Lando. When we said poly filters, we were talking about heat-bonded polyester batting that can be used for making filters. It is only for filtering out larger particles and not for treating the water. You can buy a sheet of it big enough to cover a twin bed for about $6.

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about filter bags? what should I use on the 2 overflow outs that you see in this diagram? Also, where can I buy, preferably online. THANKS!

Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a filter sock on my returns. Helps with the bubble management too. Got them from Marine Depot. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=EA1351

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
I use a filter sock on my returns. Helps with the bubble management too. Got them from Marine Depot. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=EA1351
Great Thanks! Just ordered a couple.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

To phyllis: where would I place these filter bags? Would they go over my overflow box tube sponges or perhaps over the upside down "J" tube that exits the bottom of my wet dry and dumps into the return pump?

Since I plan on keeping the sponge block in the wet dry and the 2 tube sponges in the overflow box, , I'd like to deep six the filter pad atop the bio balls (since the balls will be gone sooner or later).

All these filters/sponges/pads seem overkill to me, but matybe I'm wrong.

Getting back to the filter bag, would it stop some of the good things from entering the main? Doesn't the cheato release something good in the water (pods or sonething)?

Spin

120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com