Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best food and supplements for brain and other corals

So i was at the lfs last night looking at their brain coral. I asked about its needs and they started piling up additives and food on the counter. One was called Marine Snow and the other was B-Ionic Calcium Buffer and it comes with another bottle i forget what it did , ph fixer or something. Anyway, my question is, has anyone used these products and maybe a suggestion on other products that would suit a brain coral or all corals in general.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

what their really trying to sell you is additives for your water to make sure you have enough calcium and have a good ionic balance between calcium and alk and all that. its not specifically for the brain coral. the brain will create its own food through light basically. but be sure not to give it too much light. if placed in direct light it will bleach and and end up dying, like two of my first ones did. place it on the bottom somewhere where it will get some light, but not a ton. i also feed mine mysis shrimp soaked in zoe about once a week. at night it will put out little tenticles and you can place meaty foods in them and watch it feed itself.

HTH

Old 10-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I didnt know a brain had tentacles. This stuff gets more crazy every day I guess thats why i love it.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

What does a brain coral need to thrive? Good calcium/alk levels, proper salinity, temp, pH levels. Adequate lighting (VHO or PC), and moderate water flow (not too much - it will tear its flesh). A nice supplemental feeding of a small chunk of raw seafood weekly or so - yes, they have tentacles.

Marine Snow, IMO, is worthless - and there is an analysis published on the 'net somewhere (I can dig it up if you'd like it) - proving that is 99% water.

What methods are you using to maintain calcium & alkalinity - & do you have decent test kits to monitor these levels? As BBReef said, this applies to all corals, not just Brain corals.

Not sure if you are referring to the Open or Closed brain coral, but here is a good article on the Open Brains:

>>Open-Brain, Rose Coral, Family Trachyphylliidae<<

And one on the "Closed" brain (first of three parts): >>Brain, Meat, Pineapple Corals, Family Mussidae, Pt. 1<<

HTH,
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya its open brain corals. My tank was just finished being setup and cycled for a while. Ive been adding inverts slowly. I just ordered more test kits from marinedepot.com and i do water changes weekly. Around 20% each time.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have tried to feed my open brain coral both at night and during the day and I have never seen it eat. I also have not seen the tenticles! Where are they located?
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

The feeding tentacles will appear around the outside margin separating the mouth from the rest of the polyp. They are usually only extended at night, but the feeding reponse can usually be triggered by gently squirting some juices from fresh seafood around the coral and waiting 10-15 minutes. At this point small pieces of shredded fish, krill, shrimp etc. can be placed on or around each mouth.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Good info., MR294.

It took a bit of digging, but here are some old close-up pics of our Open Brain. You can see the feeder tentacles in these pictures...
Old 10-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Another:

Tags
coral, corals, food, supplement, supplements

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com