Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best Freshwater Converter

What's the best brand name product in your opinion for converting a freshwater tank to brackish or saltwater? There are no fish, plants or other living things in it now so this doesn't have to be a gradual conversion, I can even drain it and start from scratch if necessary. If the answer is different whether we're going brackish or full saltwater that would be useful information as well. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Instant ocean salt?

Theres really no special methods to converting a tank to salt. Just clean it and changing out the substrate would he a good plan.

I have found that some freshwater bb works in salt water. Specifically the bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrite. The bacteria that convert nitrite into nitrate don't work though.

People argue about salt, but imho instant ocean is great. Its by far the most commonly used salt in the industry and problems with it are few and far between.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Instant ocean salt?

Theres really no special methods to converting a tank to salt. Just clean it and changing out the substrate would he a good plan.

I have found that some freshwater bb works in salt water. Specifically the bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrite. The bacteria that convert nitrite into nitrate don't work though.

People argue about salt, but imho instant ocean is great. Its by far the most commonly used salt in the industry and problems with it are few and far between.
Thanks for the detailed response, they are getting rarer here, I mostly notice short smart-aleck replies that never answer the main question. And then when you feel sorry for someone getting useless responses and you take the time to write them beautiful on-topic paragraphs in response, you don't even get a simple thank you. The art of human communication is dying...

Tags
ate, fresh, freshwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com