Best green hair algae eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starscream

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what's the best fish or invertebrates to add to yur aquarium to help yu with getting rid of or slowing down growth.

I ve tried everything I can with the water and everything test perfect. All my current fish and corals are very healthy and 0 phosphates but still can't put the green hair to rest. Any info will help thanx in advance!!!

My current tank 29g biocube

I got emerald crabs & i heard keeping the lite on too long causes it as well. The crabs go to town on it.

Blue-legged hermits, a sally lightfoot, and a lawnmower blenny devastated all my hair algae aside from one little square cm patch?!

electric blue hermit carbs are by far my favorite hermits and do a wicked job of eating hair algae and also do a great job of cleaning up un eaten meaty foods or dead live stock. yesterday i had bought a peperment and a skunk cleaner shrimp and the cleaner shrimp had shed its exoskeleton a few days before so needles to say it didn't survive. so it seemed to die as soon as i introduced it to my system, my hermit crab made a b-line for it to start eating it. my LFS usually doesn't return marine animals but since i had just bought it they replaced it :)

The hair algae is living off nitrates and phosphates once you can get them under control your hair algae will slowly die off. Another thing is the light bulbs if they are old that can cause problems.

I have ordered emerald crabs and sea hare from my lfs hopefully that will help. I have never heard of a Sally light foot. How are they in a reef tank.

Sitting at 0 phosphates 0 nitrates tested myself and lfs. Hopefully it will die off in time. I ve got lots of hermit crabs all sorts but they don't seem to touch it.

In combination with cutting down on feeding, and my photo period, I added a few extra turbo snails and it was gone within a week. My case was pretty bad for a 14G as well

make sure you rinse any frozen food of with ROed water they leech alot of crap into the water if you don't

I use bottled water 5 gallon, water changes once a week. I can't turn my lights off to much I have alot of corals. I will cut down my feeding. I don't add any coral additives.

The stuff that I add are:
Calcium
Iron
Phosphate and nitrate remover
Magnesium
Iodide
And I follow the adding instructions to maintain them and I test water monthly
I use rowa phos remover in a filter bag
I will add pictures tommrow
Thanx for yur help guys

The corals can handle not having a lot of light, it won't be forever anyway. They could actually go for a few days without any light.

Try using RO or RO/DI water if you have access, when you say bottled it makes me think of drinking water which has minerals added for taste and probably stuff you don't want to add.

Are you testing for all those additives? Most of them you probably don't need as your PWCs will keep those trace elements in check

bottled distilled water? its the only water bottled water you should use, i'd trust it over ro/di water any day but its annoying to have to go to the store to get it which is why i bought a 6 stage ro/di unit

Hey Starscream,
Here is a link for you to check out for a good clean'n crew for good price. Hope it helps and good luck.

bottled distilled water? its the only water bottled water you should use, i'd trust it over ro/di water any day but its annoying to have to go to the store to get it which is why i bought a 6 stage ro/di unit

Distilled is actually not good to use. RO/DI is hands down the best, we wouldn't recommend it so much to people if it wasn't.

I believe I actually read someone say that tap would be better than distilled because of how much stuff it takes out, that makes it bad for fish. But I have a feeling I read that wrong so don't use that against me :p

how would having fresh clean water be no good. the salt we use should have allthe supplements the water should have if not, its not hard to dose with trace elements.

all i heard about using distilled and even ro/di water is that is generally softer and a buffer might be needed, but my alkalinity PH and KH have all been stable

It's full of phosphates actually, learning about it now it actually isn't very pure. If checked with a TDS meter there should be a reading on it.

You are right though in that we add it back with salt mixes, apparently what I said earlier applies to FW, not SW. My fault, sorry for telling you you're wrong before checking my facts

Back
Top Bottom