best hydrometer is....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi AA. I'm a noob when it comes to SW. I have read somewhere here that a quality hydrometer makes a difference in the water condition and future impact on your reef tank. what's a good/quality brand hydrometer? i also understand there's different types of hydrometer and which ones are you using?

Check out ebay for the same thing. Just saw one for $30. :) I use the same one and it is really accurate and soo much better than a hydrometer.

Many people use a hydrometer for saltwater tanks. While they have problems being completely accurate, they do function for ballpark figures which is all you really need them for. The time comes when you truly need a refractometer when you have to do something like a hyposalinity treatment which requires very precise measurements.

I would highly suggest a refractometer over a hydrometer, but at the same time its not 100% necessary.

As for a decent brand I would take a look at the instant ocean hydrometer.

When dealing with smaller tanks I think a refractometer is necessary. A ballpark number can be deadly in a small enough tank.
In larger tanks I agree it isnt a necessity, but since a hydrometer is like $10 and a refractometer is $30 why not spend the extra $20 to get the accuracy? I guess it's what your budget can take. lol

budget isn't an issue for now. i will get a refractometer. can some one explain what temperature compensation means? this is my first SW tank, i want.nothing to go wrong with it. just like a quality light fixture and filters, i.will make the investment now

A hydrometer will have an inaccuracy of .003 or so. If you are doing a 10% water change and are just a smidge high in salinity due to a hydrometers inaccuracy it won't hurt anything at all.

budget isn't an issue for now. i will get a refractometer. can some one explain what temperature compensation means? this is my first SW tank, i want.nothing to go wrong with it. just like a quality light fixture and filters, i.will make the investment now

I believe the salinity varies slightly based on water temperature, but not sure..

The tools used to measure salinity are effected by the temperature of the water being tested. You will get a different reading at 70deg, as opposed to say 80deg, for the same water sample. "Temperature compensation" means exactly what it says... It tries to compensate for the temperature to give you a more accurate test.

Get both. Use the hydrometer for a quick and ballpark number. If something seems wrong, for instance you dont have an ato and you think your hydrometer seems off use the refractometer. Alot of people have multiple tanks maybe you have a small amd large tank like stated before a smaller tank the levels change quickly and could possibly be fatal for your livestock. Use the hydrometer for larger tanks.

They make digital refractometers that are simple to use for just a little more money. Well worth the investment for it being accurate and fast, without needing to look through a telescope.

Back
Top Bottom