Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Question Best kind of circulation

So i just bought a maxi-jet 400 multi pump for my 30 gal long, and i noticed that it has all these different configurations, i saw circulator pump, laminuar flow, powerhead, and im slightly confused i thought powerheads were all the same thing? It generates currents in a tank, well im currently using as a circulation pump with my petco powerhead for my tank. Whats the difference between these different types and which one is best for my tank?

Blakskall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I'm pretty sure circulator pumps are meant to create a slow-moving, gentle waterflow, whereas a powerhead is more of a high-speed,rough stream used to create random current

my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

well thats a directional water jet, which blasts water in one direction, still a circulating pump just its a jet. they work but i had mine suck up and kill two turbo snails, killing one.

i like my koralia power heads, its a nice gental all round flow, a little bulky but not to bad
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com