Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #61
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin144 View Post
I was thinking maybe an anemone down the road but I have a long time till that ? What else could I do ?
Anenomes are a pain in the butt, they need high light, need to be fed krill or dead fish, and move around. Id say 8 months but others have their opinions.

I wouldnt do it. Forgot to mention they sting corals
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #62
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 421
Frogspawn or hammer could be a substitute for anemones
__________________

__________________
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Justin144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 236
I was planning on doing a hammer and torch coral so then I guess the anemone off the list
__________________
Justin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dav3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Anenomes are a pain in the butt, they need high light, need to be fed krill or dead fish, and move around. Id say 8 months but others have their opinions. I wouldnt do it. Forgot to mention they sting corals
Actually, you should feed anemones very little. Recommend not feeding them at all. Sufficient lighting is all they need. Direct feeding can cause stress. If you do feed them avoid large size and large quantity meaty foods.
__________________
Dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Justin144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 236
What about starfish ? How hard is it to keep start fish ?
__________________
Justin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #66
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post

Actually, you should feed anemones very little. Recommend not feeding them at all. Sufficient lighting is all they need. Direct feeding can cause stress. If you do feed them avoid large size and large quantity meaty foods.
I never said alot of feeding lol, also they can move when ever they choose and sting other corals. (depending on which type) Also needs a mature tank
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #67
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin144 View Post
What about starfish ? How hard is it to keep start fish ?
What type of star? Heres a link to choose from- http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a....cfm?c=497+528
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
I would do a serpent star, most of the other ones require very established tanks, long acclimation and are just tough to keep alive long term.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #69
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I would do a serpent star, most of the other ones require very established tanks, long acclimation and are just tough to keep alive long term.
Sorry to hijack but are red sea stars hard to keep? Thinking of one for my nano...
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post

Sorry to hijack but are red sea stars hard to keep? Thinking of one for my nano...
I would not do a fromia star in a small tank, they require lots of established live rock to feed off the micro fauna. They don't tolerate parameter swings at all either and once they go downhill they don't come back.
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.