Best late birthday ever !! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin144

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok the better half walks in today , a week after my birthday with a Coralife Biocube 29!!! :) so the saltwater adventure begins . First off how have some of you other biocube owners set up the back of your tank ? I was thinking the protein skimmer and heater in the first slot then I'm lost on the second chamber ? Should I keep the bio balls in that area or what's the best way ??? :) I'm so excited !! Feel free to give advice :)

I have a biocube 14. Put heater in last slot with return pump. First slot I have the biocube skimmer but I think you can fit a different one in the 29 with some mods if you like. Many don't like the biocube skimmer but I think it works great once you upgrade the pump and use longer wood air stones. A skimmer isn't necessary if you keep up on weekly water changes.
Most put a rack in the middle slot and use filter media like chemi clean and purigen. Ditch the bioballs.

I have the 29g biocube as well, great great system to start with! :)

I have my heater in the rear right corner section, its only a 50w so its pretty short and fits just fine. I also have the intank media basket instead of the filter cartridge. It cost like $30 or so and was the best thing I could have bought for my tank. It is three stages and I keep filter padding in the top to catch debris and below that purigen and then on the bottom rack I keep chemipure elite,. The elite has phosphate remover added so it can help big time with algae.
I currently have an open section, I used to have a fuge from intank.com as well but took it out. Defintely ditch the bioballs by the way, useless in my opinion. lol
I am running an in the tank skimmer, an aquaticlife 115 I think it is, cost me like $40 on ebay used and is sooo much better than the stock biocube skimmer and no stones to replace. There is also a slim skim nano that is put out by hydor which is really awesome, but then youre at like $80.

But, if you keep up with weekly water changes you wont really "need" a skimmer, though its nice to have. :)

Good luck! Let us know what you have in mind for your new project!

I think I'm just going to put the biocube skimmer in the first slot and add the media tray in the second :) and what should I do as in clean up crew ??! :)

Except this morning I go to put the stand together and realize I'm missing the entire Back panel . So I'm going to have a little delay :(

What's everyone's opinions on nano skimmers ? I was just gojng to run the stock biocube skimmer but there is a lot of bad reviews . So what's everyone else using ? I know about the slim skim nano and the aquatic life but what about the tunze 9002 and more about the others :)

I have the Biocube 29, and I rushed into it. Had fish on day two. However, I have the skimmer and it's kept everything perfect, along with the filter and what not.

I have the bio cube skimmer..it works perfect for me..I have the back of my tank set up like this..in the first tank I have my bio cube skimmer and heater..knock the false bottom out if this chamber..I ditches the bio balls and replaced them with live rock rubble and chatoe and a submersible led I keep the stock tray on top and use polyester batting for my mechanical filter which works wonders..maybe too good considering I go threw media like crazy! I'll get pics of the back for you tomorrow...the third tray is empty..ive never had any problems and my tank and water is very clean! Just another option if you don't want to modify things for the trays and all.. oh BTW this is a bio cube 29.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131111_224912.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131111_224912.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 190
Do you have the coralife version of the protein skimmer or the oceanic?? And you just filled the second chamber with live rock ???

I can get the aquatic life 115 for almost the same price though?? And with the live rock with chaeto , I wouldn't need to change media back there then right ??

Yep all you change is the filter pad every few days..and if you can get a better skimmer for the same price go for it! As long as you feel comfy modding your cube! Most people will tell you that you don't even need a skimmer on the cube..

I know but I just want to do it right the first time so I'm not changing stuff down the road . I think I'm going to do the aquatic life skimmer. And what light are you using ??

I have the 29g biocube as well, great great system to start with! :) I have my heater in the rear right corner section, its only a 50w so its pretty short and fits just fine. I also have the intank media basket instead of the filter cartridge. It cost like $30 or so and was the best thing I could have bought for my tank. It is three stages and I keep filter padding in the top to catch debris and below that purigen and then on the bottom rack I keep chemipure elite,. The elite has phosphate remover added so it can help big time with algae. I currently have an open section, I used to have a fuge from intank.com as well but took it out. Defintely ditch the bioballs by the way, useless in my opinion. lol I am running an in the tank skimmer, an aquaticlife 115 I think it is, cost me like $40 on ebay used and is sooo much better than the stock biocube skimmer and no stones to replace. There is also a slim skim nano that is put out by hydor which is really awesome, but then youre at like $80. But, if you keep up with weekly water changes you wont really "need" a skimmer, though its nice to have. :) Good luck! Let us know what you have in mind for your new project!
Do you have the coralife biocube ? Or the oceanic ?? Because I want to know if the aquatic life skimmer will fit in the coralife version

Im using the stock 50/50 lights with about 20 watts of led in between The bulbs. Also take the foam pad out in the third chamber..it will get clogged

I run my aquaticlife skimmer inside the tank, it is too snug for my liking in the back compartment. It will fit though, just really gotta get it in there. lol

Hmmm :) well I think I'm going to use it in the back . And evo I was meaning what light do you run in the back ? Sorry forgot to mention the back

This is my CUC in my 29g bio cube
1 serpent star
6 electric blue dwarf hermits
4 scarlet hermits
2 emerald crabs
4 cerith snails
6 nassarius snails
And 2 porcelin crabs just bc they look cool

I run the coralife protein skimmer in the first chamber and it works well. Carey did you notice a big difference in water quality with the inTank filter compared to the stock filter?

Could I do the stock or aquatic life filter in the first chamber, then the second chamber do the media rack and live rock rubble ?? And heater in the third

Back
Top Bottom