Best Lighting for clams & corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
amosora said:
So excited thanks a lot. I'll be bugging you again :)

Nah, any that i can help i will, just sorry about my english.

I use MH and LED but also remember using MH u will see the temp droping some and more water evaporation...

Did u do this by yourself? How long did you get. Someone is offering me 5 meters SMD 5050. Is this fine or should i get 2 rolls Lenght 5m.

T12s are more powerful than T5s, but if you individually reflect the T5, it's at least as potent as a T12, but with half the wattage. this is why they are the popular choice.

mr_X said:
T12s are more powerful than T5s, but if you individually reflect the T5, it's at least as potent as a T12, but with half the wattage. this is why they are the popular choice.

Well, mr_X here i have to talk, this is my master lol...
Doesn't matter about the watts of a lampsthe t5 are the new options but before was t8 and now the is coldcathote.

Watts mean power and in this case consuption.

Incandecent of a 60w and a florecent of a 20w and now a coldcathote of 15 you can see the have the same footcandles all but different wattage.

If you use T12 make sure they have the built-in reflectors. The bulb itself has a reflector built-in and allows much more light to make it into the tank since reflectors are not as effective.

I did followed Dinodu's idea. I am now doing my LED project though i did not adapted the red light. I got 5m of smd 5050 warm white & 5m smd 3528 blue. No available 5050 for blue light. I only have to put this together and i'll be fine haha :)

maybe the VHO that put out 110 watts are but they still put out 60 or so lumens per watt where as a T5 puts out 95 and its hardly even alot more light when you compare them side by side. plus the individule reflectors help the T5s even more, or slap an icecapp balast and pump out 80 watts to that t5 and there is no way that the VHO will be brighter then a T5 or penetrate as deep.

like i said T12s have long been outdated and soon are going to stop being sold

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom