best method to start off cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summitxho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I have done alot of reading from this website, as well as alot of others and have gotten myself confused on the initial startup of the tank. I have read that the best way is to add your salt water to your tank first, then add your live rock and cycle for a month, then add your sand (mine is not live sand) and decor. I have also read to start your cycle with the salt water and the sand in place, then add the live rock after a couple weeks. I have also read to add the saltwater, live rock, and sand all at once, then let it cycle. I am guessing they would all work fine, but what is the best method? Currently I have my tank, sand (not live), heater, pengiun 150 filter, fake plants. I am only waiting for my live rock to come in, so would it be beneficial to start cycling the tank now with everything in place, then in another couple weeks when my live rock comes in, throw it in the tank and give it another month?

If it were my choice, I'd set everything up (sand and water), then when the rock comes in, add it and have the rock cycle your tank. Where are you getting your liverock?

I am getting my live rock from my LFS, should be coming in the next couple weeks. This is the way I wanted to start out as well, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to ruin anything by adding my live rock after everything else. Thanks

Not at all. I would suggest though, when adding your liverock you want to make sure it's sitting firmly on the glass. If your sand is already down, some wriggling will be necessary. Or you can dig down. You want all your base pieces to be on the glass and not the sand that way, if for some reason your sand should shift, your rockwork will still be stable and won't topple over.

you may want to use a fresh uncook shrimp to cycle your tank this way you don't have to put the fish in the cycling. :( a much better way IMO, you can find info on the web for this type of cycling.

bamaboy2go said:
you may want to use a fresh uncook shrimp to cycle your tank this way you don't have to put the fish in the cycling. :( a much better way IMO, you can find info on the web for this type of cycling.

You can also find that info right here in our articles section, which is a great place for anyone to start!

Weclome to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom