Best non-aggressive fish to put in a new saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a marine 30 gallon tank that has a maturing biological filter. I currently have one small ocellaris clownfish. What are some good brightly colored inhabitants I can add after it cycles? Been looking at dwarf angels and blennies.

That's a big question....LOL

+1 on the royal gramma, just be certain you get a gramma and not a bi-color dottyback. They have very similar body shape and coloring, but the bi-color has a definite line separating the colors and on a gramma the colors blend into one another.
Bi-color dottybacks are VERY aggressive, so you don't want to make that mistake...LOL

A blennie would work as long as you keep in mind it's mature size and get one suited to your tank.
A dwarf angel could work, but as mentioned your tank may be too small and could elicit territorial aggression from the angel. But I suggest you wait on attempting one until your tank is at least 6 months along stable.
What are the actual dimensions of the tank because that could also be a determining factor. A long rectangular tank opens more possibilities than say a cube or hexagon.

Stay clear of tangs until your tank is very, very well established and stable.

May I suggest taking a peek here if you haven't already;
Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

(I hate going to that site...........it always makes me want to set-up more tanks...:( )

I wouldn't put a dwarf angel in such a small tank. It wouldn't end well. I would stick to 'nano' fish, which actually has a section to browse on liveaquaria's site. SOmething like a chalk bass would be a nice fit probably.

Royal grammas are awesome!! Mines so cool. Fire fish are nice peaceful fish too, just wanna make sure you have a top to your tank. If you have the cash helfrichis are fantastic looking

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a rectangular 30 long by 18 high by 12 wide, my dealer said that a flame angel was fine, and I read they are not aggressive fish. I have actually been thinking about firefish, but have never seen a royal gramma at my dealer.

Thank You!

Angels are butt heads. I have a potters in my 40 and he's definitely king of the tank.

Indigo dottyback?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

they are pretty feisty and if with mellow fish, they harass relentlessly.
pretty much the opposite of peaceful.

I've had two and that is how they both were/are,
but they are darn pretty fish, why I keep trying them...LOL

Maybe I'm lucky? Mine is with a purple firefish and Clown with no trouble, he is the least dominant fish in the tank (20 gallon), perhaps I just got lucky. Mine isn't very shy either.

Edit to add: saw a royal gramma mentioned, my gramma was more aggressive than the dottyback. Which again is housed with a Clown with no aggression issues.

I have about 3 weeks to wait until my bio filter matures. Am considering some invertebrate 'clean up crew' if my copper levels are ok. Check out reefs2go.com, it is a great site. Least expensive live coral I have ever seen!

Maybe I'm lucky? Mine is with a purple firefish and Clown with no trouble, he is the least dominant fish in the tank (20 gallon), perhaps I just got lucky. Mine isn't very shy either.

Edit to add: saw a royal gramma mentioned, my gramma was more aggressive than the dottyback. Which again is housed with a Clown with no aggression issues.

one of these guys?

img_3335666_0_da437264f7ad49d09f5cec0170c13956.jpg

that is the second one I've had and he is currently in with a mix of what could be called semi-aggressive fish, Maroon clown, midas blenny, eiblei angel, golden headed sleeper goby, a mandarin and damsel.
so far he only bothers the damsel, but nothing really serious.
The last one I had I eventually put in a 10 gallon by himself because he became so aggressive.
I guess different fish personalities???

also clowns can be pretty darn aggressive as well, and at the very least they certainly are not "wimps" and can easily hold their own against other fish.
clowns usually only get their butts kicked by other clowns.....LOL

Yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shimp pair would be a nice touch of color.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Royal grammas tend to be all bark and no bite. That's how mine is. Defends her territory but come feeding time is begging at the end of the turkey Baster with the rest of the fish lol.

Black cap basslets are awesome as well. For a wrasse you could do a possum wrasse species

Can I fit all aforementioned species into my 30? (just kidding) I am a newbie to marines and have only had my clown since last Thursday. I may have previously posted that he is a common or ocellaris clown, my mistake. He is a percula. I will consider a royal gramma, and am definitely looking for colorful fish. I have a reference book at home, and will definitely take a look at all of your suggestion fish I can find in the book!

Back
Top Bottom