Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Alkane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 264
90 gives more options for fish and double layer tank
__________________

__________________
Alkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Well nothing above seems cost effective really for a beginner. I say 30
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A 90 does not give you more options for fish. What is a double layer tank?
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
phoenixkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Over the dark rainbow
Posts: 1,351
I have plenty of time to think about what I want... I have found out that a good quality 75 gallon saltwater setup costs more than $2000.00 without the fish and live rock.
__________________
"Nice skull decoration, it goes well with the neon colored gravel!" - user

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,549
Any SW setup can cost you atleast that depending. To save money, watch craigslist.
__________________
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Alkane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
A 90 does not give you more options for fish. What is a double layer tank?
A 90g doesn't give you more options for fish than a 55g?

Sorry, double layer was a bad choice of words. I like tanks with a mid-level shelf like this:

Tank of the Month - October 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

If you can fill the extra space correctly I think taller reef tanks look better in the long run. I also think they fill wall space better, more symmetrical. Just a personal preference. 75g's look kind of squat to me, like a breeder tank. If you have short arms then yah I guess a 90 would be too tall.

if you can fit a 6ft def. 125g or 180g
__________________
Alkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
phoenixkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Over the dark rainbow
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkane View Post
A 90g doesn't give you more options for fish than a 55g?

Sorry, double layer was a bad choice of words. I like tanks with a mid-level shelf like this:

Tank of the Month - October 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

If you can fill the extra space correctly I think taller reef tanks look better in the long run. I also think they fill wall space better, more symmetrical. Just a personal preference. 75g's look kind of squat to me, like a breeder tank. If you have short arms then yah I guess a 90 would be too tall.

if you can fit a 6ft def. 125g or 180g
That tank would be sweet! But a few things you should be reminded of:
1. Reef tanks are not recommended for SW beginners
2. I am five feet tall. 125 or 180 gallons is far too much
3. Maintenance. Having to empty 35%+ every week is a lot of water, and then I have to purchase a RO/DI system.
4. I am 13. Coming up with upwards of $5,000.00 is no piece of cake for anyone. (Best deal on Craigslist is $2,500 for a 180 gallon SW tank.)
__________________
"Nice skull decoration, it goes well with the neon colored gravel!" - user

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
That tank would be sweet! But a few things you should be reminded of:
1. Reef tanks are not recommended for SW beginners
2. I am five feet tall. 125 or 180 gallons is far too much
3. Maintenance. Having to empty 35%+ every week is a lot of water, and then I have to purchase a RO/DI system.
4. I am 13. Coming up with upwards of $5,000.00 is no piece of cake for anyone. (Best deal on Craigslist is $2,500 for a 180 gallon SW tank.)
You dont have to go big or go home. Go for a 30, 40 breeder, 29 cube, or at the most, a 55. If someones a beginner, i dont think that they should invest a crazy amount into the hobby right-off-the-bat.

Plus, being 13 your parents most likely wont let you have a 180 lol. My parents barely let me have my 40
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
phoenixkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Over the dark rainbow
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
You dont have to go big or go home. Go for a 30, 40 breeder, 29 cube, or at the most, a 55. If someones a beginner, i dont think that they should invest a crazy amount into the hobby right-off-the-bat.

Plus, being 13 your parents most likely wont let you have a 180 lol. My parents barely let me have my 40
You got a 40 finally?
__________________
"Nice skull decoration, it goes well with the neon colored gravel!" - user

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
You got a 40 finally?
That was my first big tank after. I then got a 30 salt later on
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texasblitzem's 40b Tank texasblitzem Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase 14 03-17-2012 01:31 PM
New Tank Question MPehl77 Member Introductions 5 03-02-2012 04:04 PM
New tank!!!! Bobby56 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 03-02-2012 03:34 PM
Best powerheads for 20 gal long nano? Reefpete General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 03-02-2012 03:23 PM
First in the tank phoenixkiller Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 25 03-02-2012 02:25 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.