Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I started with a 55 only 5 months ago and I now have itch to get a 125 or a 180. All I can say is look at what you can spend and go as big as you can.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dang it dang it dang it!! I just found a full set up 55 gallon saltwater aquarium for $350.00. Dang it!!

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

And a 75 gallon saltwater set up for $400.00!

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Dang it dang it dang it!! I just found a full set up 55 gallon saltwater aquarium for $350.00. Dang it!!
Why the dang it? Doesnt seem like too great a deal anyways
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well considering the fact of a 55 gallon SW set up being several thousand dollars, that is an improvement to say the least.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Well considering the fact of a 55 gallon SW set up being several thousand dollars, that is an improvement to say the least.
You are REALLY far off the mark. 2000 for the BEST quality equipment with a sump and all that jazz.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty happy with my 46 bow front...right in between being a big tank or a small tank giving me a nice buffer for my parameters but only 5-15 gallon water changes at a time...I've just finished this tank for the most part other then reactors and future upgrades..I'm right in the neighborhood of $2k for a 46 bowfront drilled with sump/refugium and running a 6 bulb tek elite (keep in mind that's not all full blown retail since I watch CL like a hawk which any reefer should lol)

Edit* that's also including my stock of around 30 corals/frags, large CUC and 4 fish
Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I started with a 75G that I purchased off kijiji, but since I was new to the hobby, learning on the fly and reading and got taken huge.

I ended up dropping a fortune replacing the tank, sump, skimmer and lighting right off the get go (got a 90G tank and pine stand for a great deal and was better than going with hang on overflow as the new tank was drilled).

I must say I am preferential to taller tanks, allowing your inhabitants more swimming area and corals to grow upward. It also allows the owner to create some very unique aqua-scaping as well as even creating your own 3D backgrounds and would recommend the same.
I also find that with a larger water volume, your parameters are a little forgiving if a toxic inhabitant kicks the bucket (anemone/cucumber etc.) and allows more time to conduct an emergency water change to correct the issue.

As far as equipment prices go, your are not looking at a huge difference between gear to run a 55g to 90g IMO.

With a bigger tank it allows you to have more corals, fish and fish types (some tangs or angels depending on the route you want to take).
I would search through kijiji/craigslist and even local marine forums and possibly even this website for a local purchase. I've seen fully stocked established setups in the 90-125G range for $1000-1500 range with very nice equipment and live stock.

If you are going to go down the marine route; I highly recommend an RODI unit and a bio-pellet reactor; my tank has seen amazing success with those two additions.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You can also look for a red sea max system that have two sizes, one in the 30's and the second in the 60G range that have everything you need to run a marine tank equipment wise. These can also be picked up at a fraction of retail in the classifieds if you do not want to source out seperate components to get started.

I would go for the 60G range if going that route though.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkane View Post
A 90g doesn't give you more options for fish than a 55g?

Sorry, double layer was a bad choice of words. I like tanks with a mid-level shelf like this:

Tank of the Month - October 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

If you can fill the extra space correctly I think taller reef tanks look better in the long run. I also think they fill wall space better, more symmetrical. Just a personal preference. 75g's look kind of squat to me, like a breeder tank. If you have short arms then yah I guess a 90 would be too tall.

if you can fit a 6ft def. 125g or 180g
The last thing before you commented was talk of a 75. I disagreed because a 75 is easier to light and reach the bottom-long arms or not.
The fish don't swim up and down so the extra 15 gallons isn't going to help with stocking. Even considering a 55, what fish do you think would be ok for a 90 but not for a 55? I don't think a 90 is suitable for a tang long term.

You can place monti caps half way up in a 75 just like a 90. The tank you linked has 2 x 400 watt halides over it. Not necessary for a 75 IME.
There's the personal taste aspect which I do respect, but there are other aspects to consider, like the lighting requirements, and reaching the bottom. The shallower the tank, the cheaper it is to light.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com