Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ugh, there are soooooooooooooooooooooo many pretty tangs out there, but I always find them needing 125 gallons or more.....

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Ugh, there are soooooooooooooooooooooo many pretty tangs out there, but I always find them needing 125 gallons or more.....
Kole or tomini could be put in a 75 IMO

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The last thing before you commented was talk of a 75. I disagreed because a 75 is easier to light and reach the bottom-long arms or not.
The fish don't swim up and down so the extra 15 gallons isn't going to help with stocking. Even considering a 55, what fish do you think would be ok for a 90 but not for a 55? I don't think a 90 is suitable for a tang long term.

You can place monti caps half way up in a 75 just like a 90. The tank you linked has 2 x 400 watt halides over it. Not necessary for a 75 IME.
There's the personal taste aspect which I do respect, but there are other aspects to consider, like the lighting requirements, and reaching the bottom. The shallower the tank, the cheaper it is to light.
Excuse my brief reply earlier, I was on my phone. I will use my laptop from now on so I can take my time and be more clear.

I agree stocking options don't really change from 75-90, I should have quoted the original poster's comment.

Though from a 55 to a 90 you could add more fish and thus have more options for fish. Also there are some tangs that will fit in a 90g given enough swimming area that I would never put in a 55.

If you want to argue for ease of tank maintenance and cost then yah def. 75>90.

For a better long term product and over all appearance 90>75.

Depends on your definition of "best" I guess.

I haven't seen a grown up 75 with softies LPS/monti caps/SPS.

Quote:
That tank would be sweet! But a few things you should be reminded of:
1. Reef tanks are not recommended for SW beginners
2. I am five feet tall. 125 or 180 gallons is far too much
3. Maintenance. Having to empty 35%+ every week is a lot of water, and then I have to purchase a RO/DI system.
4. I am 13. Coming up with upwards of $5,000.00 is no piece of cake for anyone. (Best deal on Craigslist is $2,500 for a 180 gallon SW tank.)
Then yah I wouldn't get a 90g, it's mostly a personal preference.

What do you want to put in your tank? The best tank for you really depends on what you want.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know. I am hoping to get some type of butterfly fish. Raccoon, Auriga, or Heniochus Black and White Butterfly fish I have my eye on. Hee hee also looking at the Snowflake Eel and the Clownfish...

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I'm a fan of the 75. you would use the same lighting and components as the 55, but have an extra 6" front to back for aquascaping. The 90 is too deep IMO.
I totally agree with this. A 75g is one of the best options for starting in the SW hobby. You have good space and have lots of options for fish. A 90 is a little deep but if you want more water volume you can go there. Good call Mr. X
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I shall (eventually) start my SW dreams with a 75 gallon FOWLR. Fish ideas for beginners anyone?

P.S. Do NOT post links to beginner fish. I want opinions from real live people. As I have stated above, I want one or more of those Butterfly fish.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok, I shall (eventually) start my SW dreams with a 75 gallon FOWLR. Fish ideas for beginners anyone?

P.S. Do NOT post links to beginner fish. I want opinions from real live people. As I have stated above, I want one or more of those Butterfly fish.
I think before you start to stock your imagionary tank you should definitly learn HOW to creats a sw tank. What equpiment is needed, how to test for salinity/parameters, etc. Stocking your tank is one of the last things that should be done IMO
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Butterflys are pretty toigh to keep..i wouldnt suggest them.

Real opinions from only fish we have owned? I have an Occ. Clown, and a Chalk Bass and love them both
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you're going FOWLR angels are awesome, the dwarfs are pretty hardy(flame especially)
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you considered a Porcupine puffer they are like dogs and have great personality. I haven't had one but there is one at my LFS that I visit often.

A 90 may be on the small end though.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com