Best Saltwater Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME and IMO the 55 gallon tank is the best size for the SW starter. It`s big enough that the added water volume will be more forgiving should mistakes or problems arise. Once you have established that the 125 is definitely a great size as it is 6 ft long and plenty of swimming room.

Sounds awesome. In the future, I will want to convert my 55 gallon FW tank to SW, and I wanted to figure out if I needed a bigger tank. What are good fish species (I think I have asked this before) for a SW beginner??

I like 55g for a starter tank, maybe even 75g, it is even better with a wider footprint.

I'm a little biased though, I think the ultimate tank is a 125g, not obscenely big but big enough for some tangs. ;-)

I would do it now, but it is insanely expensive, then I have to figure out how to cure live rock, salt doses, keep perfect water parameters, and overall just for experienced fish keepers. I wish I could convert. So sad.

I'm a fan of the 75. you would use the same lighting and components as the 55, but have an extra 6" front to back for aquascaping. The 90 is too deep IMO.

Tank size ,well it depends on which fish you want..I started with a 75 and to me thats a perfect starter tank like others have said..A 55 IMO is just too narrow ...A 75 gives you lots of fish options too (excluding triggers,tangs,large angels and most puffers)..Could get a nice dwarf angel as a centerpiece fish if you wanted to go the fish only route ...

90 gives more options for fish and double layer tank

Well nothing above seems cost effective really for a beginner. I say 30

I have plenty of time to think about what I want... I have found out that a good quality 75 gallon saltwater setup costs more than $2000.00 without the fish and live rock.

A 90 does not give you more options for fish. What is a double layer tank?

A 90g doesn't give you more options for fish than a 55g? :confused:

Sorry, double layer was a bad choice of words. I like tanks with a mid-level shelf like this:

Tank of the Month - October 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

If you can fill the extra space correctly I think taller reef tanks look better in the long run. I also think they fill wall space better, more symmetrical. Just a personal preference. 75g's look kind of squat to me, like a breeder tank. If you have short arms then yah I guess a 90 would be too tall.

if you can fit a 6ft def. 125g or 180g :fish2:

A 90g doesn't give you more options for fish than a 55g? :confused:

Sorry, double layer was a bad choice of words. I like tanks with a mid-level shelf like this:

Tank of the Month - October 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

If you can fill the extra space correctly I think taller reef tanks look better in the long run. I also think they fill wall space better, more symmetrical. Just a personal preference. 75g's look kind of squat to me, like a breeder tank. If you have short arms then yah I guess a 90 would be too tall.

if you can fit a 6ft def. 125g or 180g :fish2:
That tank would be sweet! But a few things you should be reminded of:
1. Reef tanks are not recommended for SW beginners
2. I am five feet tall. 125 or 180 gallons is far too much
3. Maintenance. Having to empty 35%+ every week is a lot of water, and then I have to purchase a RO/DI system.
4. I am 13. Coming up with upwards of $5,000.00 is no piece of cake for anyone. (Best deal on Craigslist is $2,500 for a 180 gallon SW tank.)

phoenixkiller said:
That tank would be sweet! But a few things you should be reminded of:
1. Reef tanks are not recommended for SW beginners
2. I am five feet tall. 125 or 180 gallons is far too much
3. Maintenance. Having to empty 35%+ every week is a lot of water, and then I have to purchase a RO/DI system.
4. I am 13. Coming up with upwards of $5,000.00 is no piece of cake for anyone. (Best deal on Craigslist is $2,500 for a 180 gallon SW tank.)

You dont have to go big or go home. Go for a 30, 40 breeder, 29 cube, or at the most, a 55. If someones a beginner, i dont think that they should invest a crazy amount into the hobby right-off-the-bat.

Plus, being 13 your parents most likely wont let you have a 180 lol. My parents barely let me have my 40

You dont have to go big or go home. Go for a 30, 40 breeder, 29 cube, or at the most, a 55. If someones a beginner, i dont think that they should invest a crazy amount into the hobby right-off-the-bat.

Plus, being 13 your parents most likely wont let you have a 180 lol. My parents barely let me have my 40
You got a 40 finally?

Back
Top Bottom