best set up for 90 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just picked up a 90 gallon tank from a buddy of mine. he had a sw tank for about 10 years and finally had enough. i wish to have reef tank with some hardier organisms, nothing too delicate lol.

there was about 40# of playsand and small pebbles left dried out in the bottom. i scooped most of it out but kept it in case it will help me out later.

1. does it contain anything beneficial (has been dry for almost 6 months).

he also gave me protein skimmer but i don't think the ph works anymore, 2. do they have a delay?

3. how much ls, br, lr will i need?

4a. what is the best filtration method to use? i think it may be too big a tank to have a hang on back set up.

4b. is it absolutely necessary to get it drilled for other filtration methods?

4c. is an under gravel filter beneficial? i don't think this would make sense if ls is used as main substrate.

5. would 330w (2 x 110w vho actinic, 2 xi 55w compact florescent) = 3.67 w/gal be enough light to keep hardier corals?

6. should i scrap my 35gal tank after a get the new tank cycled.

any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.
katz

Welcome to AA katz!!!
1. Nothing beneficial after it has been left dry for 6 months.JMO
2.No delay
3.40lbs PS can be use as BS layer. Add a cup or so of LS from an established tank,and it will seed the BS turning it into LS again. As for BR/LR, you could use mostly BR to save $$$. I would do about 70-80lbs BR and 30-40lbs mix LR(tonga/fiji)etc.
4a.You could use a canister filter setup such as a Aheim Fluval 404
4b.There's no need to drill your tank. You can use HOB overflow type for wet/dry filtration system.
4c.There's no need for an under water gravel filter in SW.
5.I think lighting should be enough for hard corals.JMO
6.Keep the 35gal and set it up as a sump should you decide to go with wet/dry set up filtration, or use it as a QT tank for your new fish. Good Luck !

As IfoundNemo stated, I would start your substrate from scratch. What kind of protein skimmer did he give you? I currently use a 125G wet/dry HOB on my 90G and works just fine. Although, pre-drilled is a better solution IMO. If you want to be unlimited with Corals, I would go the MH route to be on the safe side before investing in lighting, if you haven't already. Definitely avoid the UGF! Your 35G would make a great QT.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom