I'm new to this forum, but I want to hear what everybody's advice is.
I'm interested in starting a 55 gallon saltwater tank setup (I know this is small, but I can't go much bigger due to space limitations). I've read a few books, talked to a few local aquariums, and done research online and it appears that I can't narrow down to exactly what I'm looking for.
Here is the type of aquarium i want to setup:
1. 55 Gallon's (Saltwater)
2. Initially, it will be setup as a "fish-only tank", due to the initial cost of setting up such a tank.
3. I'm not looking into any seriously "aggressive/territorial" fish. Just small/med size fish that get's along well with others. I know choices of fish will become limited when I buy such a fish, but this is how i would like to "start" my new saltwater aquarium
4. I would like to initially use live rock and also live sand.
5. I will eventually like to introduce coral reefs, anemones, etc., to extend the setup as a more natural approach.
I'm kinda looking for two separate answers here.... If you only wish to answer one, thats fine, that'll atleast get me one step further than i already am. So feel free to give me any advice you may have.
1. If money wasn't a factor, what type of equipment will you buy. (for enthusiastics, this should be a fun question to answer) (By asking this, I mean EVERYTHING). By the type of aquarium (acrylic, glass), filters (all of them, or inclusive), UV
lighting, Protein skimmers, etc.etc.)
2. If money was a factor, what type of equipment will you buy then. (Reason being: I want to know what the best is, vs what would the ideal be. I'm not rich, but I make enough money to have enough choices. I'm not interested in bare minimums/essential. But what would be a pretty good system for the price (regarding ALL equipment).
If you can, please refer to specific's. Like, im being told the Euroreef's have been highly recommended by ALOT of people, but which model would be good for this type of system? What would be the best, what would be ideal? How much live sand should I use (on average), and how many pounds of live rock should I initially invest in to get somewhat of a scenery going, etc. (you should get the idea)
I'm looking for specifics, since setting up a saltwater tank is a brand new thing to me (but i have owned and maintained a 29 gallon fresh water tank for most of my life). I know theres a big difference, but alot of similarities. I'm only mentioning this because I have previous experience with aquariums, just not salt water. Any equipment, terminology, etc., ---- if i'm unaware of it, i will research it, because i'm incredibly interested and motivated to start such an aquarium.... So speak as if you normally would. Any help will be highly appreciated.. ------
****Not only for me, I think this would make a great thread for any new beginner. I couldn't find such one ANYWHERE, and so thats the reason why I'm writing this one*****