Best tank size for semi-nano reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all!

I've finally been bitten by the saltwater bug, about a month ago I dismantled my planted 55 because I felt it wasnt worth it, and then replaced that with a 20H tank in my bedroom with 3 cichlids in it. I thought I'd be content with that, but it turns out I'm not! Keep in mind here, I work at my LFS so I get anything and everything at cost, which makes switching often pretty cheap. Not sure if that's bad or good, but anyway...

I want to do a mini reef in my bedroom, which is on the second floor of my house so I'd like to keep it under 45 gallons for weight reasons. I have 3 metal halides that I was using for my planted 55, but I'd like to be able to only use one of them so I need a tank without a center brace.

My goal-
Mainly anenomes, inverts and some corals, probably a clown fish, but mainly reef.

Now, sitting here looking at the catalog, here are my options:
(price point is somewhat important, looking for bang-for-your-buck type deal)

All Glass-
30 XH - $43.96
36 Bow - $71.98
36 Corner - $98.59
40 Breeder - $58.35
46 Bow - $91.92

Perfecto-
33 flatback hex - $58.36
37 Column - $39.75
40 Long - $66.59
40 XH - $53.55

Now, I'm inclined to go with the 37 column, just because I think that'd make a real cool reef. Also, It'd give pretty varied light levels for things living in the tank.. what are your opinions?

On another note, I'm thinking as far as filtration that I'm gunna use the canister filter I used on my 55 (never medicated), but as for a skimmer? For such a small tank, there's really no need to spend hundreds on a top of the line skimmer, is there?

I was thinking -
(all Red Sea)
Prizm Deluxe hang-on - $84.20
Prizm Deluxe Pro hang-on - $131.56

Other than the basic equipment, I think I can take the rest from here.. As far as the skimmer goes though, I dont mind if it doesnt take EVERYTHING out of the water - I can get a bucket of salt for like $40 which will last awhile so I can do lots of water changes.

Opinions?
Thanks!

My opinion is the bigger the better. Whatever you can get upstairs. The more water volume the better and more forgiving it will be if you mess up. The only filtration needed is a skimmer and 1.5- 2 lbs of LR. The canister is not needed IMO. My tank has only had LR and a skimmer with (a refuge the last two yrs) the nine yrs I`ve had it. As far as your salt I like to use oceanic because it keeps calcium levels respectable. But it`s your choice

also, i wouldn't go with a tall tank, more of a longer tank is better i think. if you go too tall, then you are right about the different levels of light. that could be a bad thing. and like mel said, skip the filter and just get the rock. by getting rid of the filter, it's one less piece of equipment to take care of and also it will help your nitrates stay down. i had to get rid of mine for having too many nitrates, but that's just what happened to me. either way, good luck with the tank and welcome to the saltwater side. also, don't forget that for an anenome, you'll need to have your tank set up for close to, if not more than, a full year. they need well established tanks for survival. good luck, hth.

I think most folks on here wouldn't recommend those skimmers. For the size tank you're talking about, try a Bak Pak or Aqua C Remora. If you don't want to buy new (although I'm sure you get a nice discount!) there are usually several available on ebay.

Also, I think the rule of thumb is one MH per 18" of tank, or something close. So a tank roughly 36" long would need two, which shouldn't interfere with the center brace, if there is one. My vote would be for the 36 bow.....

this seems to be heresy on any reef site around, but with some tweeking and mods the seaclone 100 is perfect for that size tank, I have one on my 10gallon nano and on my 29long +10sump/fuge, skims like a champ

have you considered getting a nanocube and having it altered by nano-customs, they are pretty self sufficient if you do the right equipment changes

Personally, I'd go with the 40 long. IMO, longer is better. ( :lol: ) You will get more surface area that way, and the weight will be more spread out across your floor beams; hence, less pressure on individual beams. My fiance explained this to me when I set up my ninth tank. He used to build houses.
I'm not sure what a 40gal breeder looks like? That might be a good choice also, depending...
More room means more options. The largest tank option you have listed is a 46. For $25 less, you miss out on a whole 6 gallons :roll: . Looking at all the angles, I say the 40 long is the best route to take :bulb:

stevefromga2000 said:
if you go too tall, then you are right about the different levels of light. that could be a bad thing.
I agree, tall tanks make it hard to keep a proper pH.

Back
Top Bottom