Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best way to clean off coral/rock?

Im asking this int he saltwater part but here goes.

I bought a 75 gallon tank on CL for 250 bucks, Had custom stand, coral lighting system(800+ dollar system(sticker still on i =P) Sump pump etc.

But heres the problem. Im turning it back to freshwater and the sides, bottom, Behind the overflow. everywhere is covered in Pink and white stuff, Im guessing from the coral or rocks she had in it. This tank was not cleaned at all it seems.

Now the sides of the tanks I got with a razor blade and vinger, but how can I get it off formthe overflow and pipes? there is a double wall in the overflow with maybe 1/4in gap that I can not get at all. I was thinking the carwash but I figured Id ask here 1st if there was something else I could use so Im not lugging this monster thing around town and risk breaking it.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The stuff on the sides and everything is coraline algae. A calcium based algae that is a sign of a healthy sw/reef setup. Sad to see it all go down like that, but glad you got a good deal. GL getting it off, besides a razorblade I'm not sure of how else to get it off.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

ah ok I was wondering what it was. Learned something new today hehe.

It was dried and just crusty from the parts Ive cleaned so far(the tank sat empty for a long time hence the cheap price). The little gap in the Overflow is the hardest part so far. I cant find anything to get in there and get rid of it.

Tags
clean, coral, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com