Best way to clean out old tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of cleaning out an established freshwater tank and setting it up as saltwater. My question is, once everything is removed from the tank, what is the best way to "clean" it out? Is it okay to use a regular washrag and several changes of water? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I don't want to take any chances of chemicals possibly getting in there? It has also never been treated with any medications. Thanks...

Lots of water is the key. Avoid chemicals if you can. Use FW and a razor blade to remove any water scum or aglae. Rinse well and you should be good to go. Just make sure the tank has never had any copper based medications used in it.

Yup. I had a really really nasty 55 that had calcium deposits and algae and all kinds of nastiness. I use roughly a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture and a clean rag that I only use for the tanks. Gets it right off. Just rinse it out really well when you're done.

-j

so what does one do if they used a copper based chemical in the tank such as a snail cleaner?

Back
Top Bottom