best way to put a fish in a salt water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeysuckle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey i having a prblem i have had my tank running 3 weeks now and i went to put a damsel in my tank. i use a 5 gallon bucket and ran a small air hose to it. i let the bucket fill up and then pour the water back in with the damsel. the damsel died in one hour. did i do something wrong?

What are the parameters of the tank? How soon did the bucket fill up? Acclimating should take 1.5 to 2 hours. I put the fish with the water from the pet store in the bucket, start a drip of about 4-7 drops per second and when the volume doubles take half out and do it again. Then net the fish out (dont dump the water in the tank) and put the fish in the tank. If the tank wasnt cycled that is what killed it. If you did the process too fast, you may have shocked the fish. Need more information.

spoonman said:
What are the parameters of the tank? How soon did the bucket fill up? Acclimating should take 1.5 to 2 hours. I put the fish with the water from the pet store in the bucket, start a drip of about 4-7 drops per second and when the volume doubles take half out and do it again. Then net the fish out (dont dump the water in the tank) and put the fish in the tank. If the tank wasnt cycled that is what killed it. If you did the process too fast, you may have shocked the fish. Need more information.

Agree more info.

Both temp and drip acclimation are important. Here is what i do.

1.) Float bag in tank for 15min to acclimate temp.
2.) Pour water and fish in specimen container
3.) Run a drip line at 3 drops per second approx for 2 hours
4.) When container is full, pour out half water and continue the 2 hour drip.
5.) After 2 hours, gently net fish and place into tank.

Netting however can remove fishes slime coat and make them more vulnerable, if you want to overcome this also then you can hand place the fish or use a special acclimation container that strains out the water and leaves only the fish so you can place in the tank. Dumping fish store water in your tank is not recommended.

well i run a small air line how can i tell if its only 4 to 7 drops a second and i was only told to bucket fill so i think thats where im going wrong. ok in going to try this and hope i have some good luck with it thank u guys and i get back to u if i have any luck with it.

You can adjust the flow by either putting a small valve in the airline or you can tie a knot, the tighter the knot the lower the flow.

I set it up with a valve on a airline and I time it. Its like 6 drops a second

I personally don't time it, just go with instinct lol. Oh and when acclimating don't forget about it, I did that with a feather duster and had one heck of a mess to clean up when I woke up. Not a good start to a day. Good thing is I have plans for a basement Reno so the water stains aren't a big deal lmao.

I read u should do 4 times the amount of water in the bag and should be good.

No ! This is the best way !!

1) Float the bag in the tank for 15 mintues
2) Put the fish in a bucket
3) get the airline tubing, make sure it drips 2 times a second
4) then let it sit in the water instead of watching in drip !!
-Do not drip because that changes the ph and can shock your fish and just ruin the acclimation!!

5)So let it sit in the water and after 30 minutes take some water out of the bucket so there's more new water from the tank
6) do this for no more than 1hour as 45 minutes
- too long of acclimation will also stress your fish
7)float the bag again for another 15 minutes because when the fish is in the bucket , the temperature changes again do get it to the same temperature again
8) check the salinity and make sure they match
9) never net your fish !! Freaks them out !!!
10) take most of the water out because during acclimation they poop and pee and I don't think you want that going into your tank , so take most of the water out until its a little bit of water and your fish and gently release him in to your tank without exposing him to air ,

11) leave the lights off for a good 4 hours and let him get used to the tank and tank mates , they will not be pleased if they are thrown in a new tank with bight lights and new fish everywhere !!

12) good luck and I know it's a long process but all of it makes sense and a lot of people do it the easy way out but , this is a very safe and smart way , my point is that , THE MORE CAREFUL YOU ARE WHEN YOU ACCLIMATE , THE LONGER YOUR FISH LIVES !!

Saltwaterfish56 said:
No ! This is the best way !!

1) Float the bag in the tank for 15 mintues
2) Put the fish in a bucket
3) get the airline tubing, make sure it drips 2 times a second
4) then let it sit in the water instead of watching in drip !!
-Do not drip because that changes the ph and can shock your fish and just ruin the acclimation!!

5)So let it sit in the water and after 30 minutes take some water out of the bucket so there's more new water from the tank
6) do this for no more than 1hour as 45 minutes
- too long of acclimation will also stress your fish
7)float the bag again for another 15 minutes because when the fish is in the bucket , the temperature changes again do get it to the same temperature again
8) check the salinity and make sure they match
9) never net your fish !! Freaks them out !!!
10) take most of the water out because during acclimation they poop and pee and I don't think you want that going into your tank , so take most of the water out until its a little bit of water and your fish and gently release him in to your tank without exposing him to air ,

11) leave the lights off for a good 4 hours and let him get used to the tank and tank mates , they will not be pleased if they are thrown in a new tank with bight lights and new fish everywhere !!

12) good luck and I know it's a long process but all of it makes sense and a lot of people do it the easy way out but , this is a very safe and smart way , my point is that , THE MORE CAREFUL YOU ARE WHEN YOU ACCLIMATE , THE LONGER YOUR FISH LIVES !!

Kinda belligerent if you ask me, honestly the best way is the way that works best for YOU!!!!!! I have my way you have your way what makes my way wrong? Same thing slightly different technique, doesn't make it wrong. Personally I dump the fish in a 5g bucket and start drip, I then add a small powerhead to mix/ circulate water and a heater to temp match. After time (depends on fish and the species sensitivity) I typically use my hands and transfer fish, in some cases a net is the better choice. I would like to see the previous poster whom this response is aimed at transfer a fox face bare handed. Common sense dictates the proper technique and the bottom line is to make the transition as easy and stress free as possible for "ALL" parties including yourself.

well i use a container that the fish would fit in and just use a cup of the water from the bucket that way i didnt touch or net the fish

Ok so I did the drip cycle with the bag floats for 15 mins the drip cycle in a bucket for 1 hour. Then test sanlity level and they match and let the fish swim in the bucket for about 5 mins after the drip and the put them in the tank. Seem fine in bucket but then I put them in tank with light off and look little stressed with breathing. Will that go away in a bit. Mean seem to swim around the tank no bad and hidden in livr rock. Mean I did a water test and ph 8.2 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 sanlity 1.025 temp 78

I temp for 15min then drip for 1.5hrs and every 1/2hr I take out about 1/4 the water in the acclimation container....my Kenya and zoas just temp acclimated and dropped them in and look fine

Mr. D said:
I temp for 15min then drip for 1.5hrs and every 1/2hr I take out about 1/4 the water in the acclimation container....my Kenya and zoas just temp acclimated and dropped them in and look fine

Let me say my salt was the same as my LFS that day

Mine was off by .001 there is 1:024 and mine was 1:025. I'm. Just hope a hou drip and then every 20 I. Took quarter of the water out. I was told 45 mins but I did a hour cause least time my drip wasn't right and the damsel die in 4 hours

Do u think my damsel will ;live? mean more there mouth alittle like stress was going to try and feed them think that will help?

I think he should be fine... I always feed when I put mine in

I try to feed them one was eating alittle other kinda breathing little heavy still like stressed and its been a hour and a half in the tanked. What could I do to help that?

Back
Top Bottom