Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Mikes tank is close to 900g, if I remember correctly. Maybe he'll post a pic of the front, it is something we all aspire too. Probably the nicest tank I've ever seen outside a publicly funded aquarium.

As for the 9 holes, the more places you got water entering the tank the more intricate the flow is gonna be.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Timbo I am not sure what is confusing you , If you could tell me maybe I could explain it. You mentioned nine holes in my tank and ask why. Thier are actually 25 holes in the tank just associated with the 2 closed loops. I have 2 inputs holes (where the water sucks into the tank) and 12 ouptut holes (where the water is pumped out of the pump and ijnot the tank). Was that what YOu were asking???

Reefrunner thanks for the kind words my friend. I am a lousy picture taker but her are a couple of shots for ya
This was before the balance of the lights were up and before I put all my coral back in.

and here is one after

Old 06-13-2003, 11:13 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Excellent description and photos of your closed loop.

+25 Kudos to you.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 07:52 AM   #14

What threw me off is, where the holes for I take it to be your returns, are all in a row and right next to one another instead of strategicaly placing them or running them to different parts of the tank. ( or maybe from the pictures I can't see that.)

I understand how the closed loop works. I worked building Jacuzzi's for a couple of years back in the 80's. Same difference. I am looking to do something similar on a much smaller tank like alrmc4, except I have no choice but to create an outside solution running inside if that makes sense. In other words, I cannot drill the tank. It would be nice, but not possible at this time. I am trying to figure out how to implement it witout making it look like garbage. Great looking tank BTW...
Old 06-14-2003, 08:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
timbo when you figure it out without holes i want pics and step by step directions!!!!if possible..thanks
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:31 AM   #16

Will do
Old 06-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Ahh I gotcha now timbo. To understand my flow pattern you kinda have to look at the hole package.
I have 3000 gph going through a 1 1 2/ spray behind the rock work. (this keeps the detritus from settling). The one closed loop on onew side of the tank. It pushes 5000gph up to a motorized ball valve. On each side of the ball valve is 5 to siz out puts with lock line to adjust where the flow goes. The ball valve rotates direction every 5 minutes. So water comes out one bank for 5 mins (creates calm in one zone and chaos in another) then it swaps out to the other side of the valve and thus to the other bank (so what was chaos is now calm and what was calm is choas). what it does is re creates a wave splashing down (chaos) and then when it switches over creates the calm of the wave retreating. With 2 closed loops it makes 4 of these micro zones. Its really kinda neat. The Public aquarium curator was over taking pics to re create it (but on a larger scale ) for thier aquarium.

I will look for something for you to work with.

mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:11 PM   #18

Another question...Can you incorporate a sump configuration along with a closed loop system? For a Refugium? or is that how it is done anyway?
Old 06-14-2003, 03:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mojo, WOW. What a tank. I have my water draining from an overflow into a big pump, to the chiller and then back through some centipedes. Is this what you consider a closed loop? Lor, I paid someone to configure it and set it up. It was worth the 150 dollars to me.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

nope a closed loop is closed. it never sees air

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com