better off to drill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24 hours? NE!

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 55 gallon tank as an upgrade to my 25. I'm basically starting from scratch and intend on having a sump. Would it be useful/beneficial to drill the hole into my 55 or just use an overflow box?

What would be involved?

I'm probably going to cut a slot into my stand which I have to build.

I doubt the sides of the 55 will be tempered. Check the tank and see if it has a sticker on the tank that says it uses tempered glass. When in doubt contact the tank maker and ask.

If you have the ability to get the tank drilled then I would do it with out a doubt. INfact I would have two holes drilled if not four holes. Two holes in the back corner areas for overflows and two holes in the back someplace for returns.

Try to find a glass shop that will cut the tank for you. Cutting glass can be very tempermental as its important to keep the glass cool and is done best with a diamond blade.

More than one overflow? At what level do you suggest the hole(s)?

And just for my peace of mind- tempered glass is the kind that will shatter, right?

Put the hole where you want it. Drill the holes a few inches down from the bottom. If your going to use a simple strainer then put them at the height you want your water level to be. If you build an internal overflow box then you can put the drains at a level lower then the final water level.

Tempered glass will crack if its drilled.

Any suggestions for an internal overflow box?
I think I'm going to go that route.

How many return holes do you need? I'm only planning one sump, are there benefits to more than one sump? If I have an extra hole drilled how do I keep it sealed?

I bought my tank predrilled with an internal overflow. It has 2 holes drilled in the bottom.

I had an HOB overflow on my 29 gal and never really liked it. I have since removed it and and just went to a HOB filter for that tank.

Will a durso pipe work with a bulkhead on the back of a tank instead of the bottom?

If so, how about this:

exit hole in the back corner of the tank about 3 or so inches from the bottom
return sump hole opposite side about 2 or so inches from the top

I doubt the sides of the 55 will be tempered.
Is this the norm? I thought all the glass was tempered unless it was specifically designed to be drilled, then they would use untempered glass for the bottom only in order to drill it. IOW nearly all tanks can be drilled (on the back)?

still learning,
Mark

Back
Top Bottom