BGA in SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put a stronger light on my SW tank (65W in a 29 gal). BGA started to grow and is fast taking over. I was in a SW LFS this weekend where I heard a customer raving over something from them that he put in his tank and the BGA went away like magic, but I didn't catch what the product was. Any recommendations on fighting BGA (it looks red) in SW?

BGA? Is that blue-green algea...as in cyanobacteria?
Usually from high nutrients and/or low flow and/or old lighting.

You can buy stuff to help it go away, but better to find the source and work from there.

Those articles were good. In the intervening time, I got a couple trocus snails and a turbo snail and put them in there. There are now some patches where the algae is cleaned off the tank. If they don't like BGA, then perhaps it's not that, but is diatoms instead. How can you tell?

Still not sure what exactly "BGA" is, but if you're talking cyano, then the two are very distinct. Diatoms look like rust and will blow off your rocks/sand like dust. Snails will eat it. Cyano will look like "slime" for the most part and the snails won't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom