Bi-Color Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Someone fill me in on Bi-Color Blennies. What I hear and read contradict each other immensely. I read that they're peaceful, but I hear from people who have them that they can be agressive. I read they're herbivores, but people tell me they eat brine shrimp. I read that they're hardy, yet hear they are kinda fragile.

If you think it's worth knowing, give it to me! :eek:

I read they're herbivores, but people tell me they eat brine shrimp.

Somebody forgot to tell the blenny ;) Most herbivorous fish will eat meaty foods, they just require green foods in their diet.

I read that they're peaceful, but I hear from people who have them that they can be agressive.

I think all blennies tend to be territorial.

I read that they're hardy, yet hear they are kinda fragile.

I'd have to say if provided the proper environment, they are hardy, but I have never kept one personally, you should get opinions from those that actually have the fish prior to making a purchase decision.

Well, tell me this...

I have a hex tank, so it's pretty deep relative to the number of gallons it holds. I've got about 15-20 pounts of LR at the bottom for the blenny to hang out in. All the fish I want and/or have are ones that stay out in the open and don't hide in rocks (cowfish, chromis, filefish). If the blenny is territorial, you think there will be any problem considering these fish likely won't be wanting to hang out in "his" rock much?

Doubtful there would be a problem, although depending on the surface area of the hex tank, I think you may already have it overstocked. I am, however, prejudiced on Hex tanks as SW tanks.

We've had a Bicolor Blenny for a little over 4 years now. I've never seen it be aggressive or territorial, but we've always kept our stocking level on the low side, so that could be part of it. Cool fish, like RR said, primarily a "veg" eater, but also likes meaty foods.
I doubt you'll have a problem with the fish you intend on keeping.

Good luck!

Well, fill me in. You won't hurt my feelings. :p

I bought this tank on ebay for $150 with stand, dual 55w power compact, and a CPR backpack filter. Regardless of whether it is the best tank around, you won't convince me it wasn't a good buy, so tell me how it's not optimal so I know what to upgrade to and why. :)

And you think that 1 longhorn cowfish, 1 tassled filefish, 3 green chromis, and 1 bi-color blenny are too much for a 42 hex? (keeping in mind I buy the smallest fish I can find. I want to watch them grow up)

And you think that 1 longhorn cowfish, 1 tassled filefish, 3 green chromis, and 1 bi-color blenny are too much for a 42 hex?

Yep, I do. The problem is hex tanks don't have alot of usable space for the fish. Fish tend to swim horizontally more than vertically. I have had several Hex tanks through out the years and none have been good fish tanks for me, I had a successful reef with one, once, but it only had one fish in it and it was an 80g hex. This is just personal preference and a little (bad) experience talking, but give me a shallow, wide rectangular tank any day ;)

I was kind of thinking that my next tank would be a 90-gal corner tank. They do have similar dimensions, though, as far as deep (tall) and not very long. Do you hold the same reservations about them?

Back
Top Bottom