Bi color dottyback? reef safe and non aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
was just reading another post and it was mentioned that they are aggressive. I've been tossing the idea of getting one cause of the great colors but now I'm hesitant. I will be getting 2 clowns and maybe a goby/blenny for my fish load. The rest of tank is an anenome and gonna be corals

They are very aggresive and territorial. I have one and two clowns in a 29g. That is all I can have. The clowns have their area and the dottyback has his. He leaves the coral alone but ate every pod and worm and shrimp and crab he could get. They are also very tough. Mine jumped out and I threw him back in tank. A snail ate his tail off and he is still ok now. Look into a royal gamma. Look very similar, not aggressive. But with 29 g you be limited.

Thanks for sharing. I'm just looking at a fourth fish and thought these were small and pretty. Typical girl LOL

I think I'll stick with the clowns/benny or goby

yep. i have found that any from the pseudochromis family can be very aggressive. especially in a small tank.

I have one who is a peaceful member of the community. BUT, it's in a 125 with 3 tangs. It mostly hides in the rocks, but it does not bother the 2 bicolor blennies or the clowns. It was also one of the last additions to the tank so every thing already had a established territory.

I had a Strawberry Dottyback in my 90. I had to use the backwards water bottle top trick to get her out. She wouldn't let me add any other fish and was very aggressive. Her territory kept expanding across my tank too. They are hyperactive little fishes:)

Back
Top Bottom