big day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok today my tank got a good bit of work done
can i get advise on a few things?

1st
i have an outbreak of ich on my tang and royal gramma
i put all of my fish in a 58 qt clear plastic tub (new)
put a filter on it ,filled it up with tank water
added 1 capfull of ich away (malichite green)
how dark green does the water should be?
it is right now very light green
put them in BOY THAT WAS FUN (NOT !!!)

2nd
did a massive water change (50 %)

now here is what i did different
in returning new salt water to the tank i put hot water in
(mixed up the salt water in the tub with hot water)
and set my heater on 90 degrees
took all my rock out
(just base with a bit of bright green algae on them)
no live rock
i did this because i read that to kill off ich you gotta speed up its life cycle
by raising the temp

will i destroy my bacteria in the sand with the hot water change?
tomorrow i will again change some more water
i was thinking of boiling some distilled water to further raise the temp
(added slowly of course) :?

also i put all my inerts in there own container with a small filter
(20 g hob with a foam block)

added 1 capfull of ich away (malichite green)
Why not a good copper compound like cupramine?

and set my heater on 90 degrees
No needed, in fact not good. IMO. 82-84 is fine to speed up the life cycle. Anything over 84 may stress the life still in your main.

no live rock
i did this because i read that to kill off ich you gotta speed up its life cycle
by raising the temp
I would advise lowering the temp to the low 80s and putting the rock back, the parasite will cycle out without doing this.

will i destroy my bacteria in the sand with the hot water change?
Very likely will damage it.

also i put all my inerts in there own container with a small filter
(20 g hob with a foam block)
After you get the temp back down, please put them back in the main. They are not hosts for a parasitic outbreak.
I understand your aggressiveness, but these are steps that are not needed (or desired). Just treat the fish with a good copper compound or hypo and allow the main to go fallow for 6 weeks. It will do the trick. :wink:

I agree with quarryshark. The extremely elevated temp will likely kill off much of the life in your tank. The inverts will be much more likely to survive in the main tank. I believe the copper will be more effective in treating ich than anything else. Be very careful not to overdose it though.

greatgman said:
i'll drop it to 85
86° is actually the ideal reproductive rate for C. irritans. It will will quite honestly do nothing to kill it. As stated by the others, the only thing a high temp like this will accomplish is putting you back to ground zero. If the temp is maintained you will end up with a dead tank in need of re-cycling. Not something I think you'll want.

Leave the temp be and be sure you do not alter temps with the fish either. Increasing the temp will alter the fish's blood chemistry (pH mainly) inhibiting it's immune response making it more sesceptible to infestation. MAlachite green will not hinder the parasite much, so it would be a double whammy so to speak.

I would do as Quarryshark suggests and use an alternate method proven to erradicate the pest. Just be sure you remove the Malachite first. Several large water changes and carbon in the filter should do the trick.

Cheers
Steve

Not sure what you mean here, but you do not want to just add hot water to saltwater you have been mixing, that can really dillute your saltwater mix. Raising tank temps is mostly a freshwater approach to getting rid of Ich. Freshwater Ich and Marine Ich look similar, however they are entirely different in terms of treatment. In a Marine tank, those temps are likely to cause a lot of other problems, as has been dicussed, and not even make a difference.

Anyway, I am not sure where you got most of your idea but you are really looking like you are trying to nuke your tank. You should take a step back from this and slow down before you end up with a bunch of dead fish, dead inverts, and base rock. Treating Marine Ich is actually fairly simply. Get the fish out of the tank, leave the inverts in the tank. QT the fish, treat the Ich, and leave the fish out of the tank for 6 weeks so the parasite is entirely dead in the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom